Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
ChickeNmamma,
I do not breed blues really but my understanding is if the black does not carry the lacing gene you will not get any good blues. Go to the Ameraucana Club Forum Index they did discuss the blues and you may be able to pick some tips up on there. The United Orpington Clubs has some articles also and there was an article a few threads back on the Orpington thread. There are some club members or were some that were breeding Blue Andalusias to them and one member used a UK blue Orpington to try and improve the color.

ChickeNmamma,
I do not breed blues really but my understanding is if the black does not carry the lacing gene you will not get any good blues. Go to the Ameraucana Club Forum Index they did discuss the blues and you may be able to pick some tips up on there. The United Orpington Clubs has some articles also and there was an article a few threads back on the Orpington thread. There are some club members or were some that were breeding Blue Andalusias to them and one member used a UK blue Orpington to try and improve the color.

Ahhh... so the Blues require something extra to be good blues - its not that the Pure Blacks require something extra. I did read that the Blues were having problems with the lacing because they did not carry a strong copy of the Andalusian lacing gene. I did read the ABC posts about the genetics, fascinating information. It is also where I learned about the really dark blues that could pretend to be blacks I believe. I will look up the Orpington Club for the information on the Blues, but I am more interested in the Lavenders and Blacks used to improve them.

I am still interested to know if the Blacks with the partial lacing gene hidden in their genetics create any kind of an inferior Black coloration. Are the Blacks from Black x Black breedings different in any quality way from the B/B/S Blacks? That is what I would like to know .. anybody know?

I recall something about Blacks being based on Gold having the beetle green sheen, Blacks based on Silver not having it.. but I have read differing opinions about what causes the green sheen also...

I also read about the chicks with the complete chick down solid black (as opposed to black/cream or black/white) being E/E based and using them gives you darker blacks - but I don't think that matters if its from B/B/S breeding or BxB or even BxLav breedings..
idunno.gif

So many questions...

There is a thread on the abc site about chick down color and what to breed for to make the best lavs.....been many months since i read it......intesting read.

BuckaBucka- its nice to see birds at that age with lots of feathers. A few years ago we were seeing lots of slow feather naked babies. Ugh.
I hope you have a trio there. The one is def a boy.

My breeding pens are all broken up for the year now. Hopefully we have something good to work with next round. I am retiring my 1 and 2 year old lavender roos as part of continual improvements. We've got 2 splits and a gorgeous slate legged lav cuckoo baby boy so far. Everybody else is too tiny to sex yet.

I just wanted to post a picture of my Lavender split roo, Ollie. I was planning on breeding him to my Lavenders so I wanted to know if he was "breeder quality"? He is only 18 weeks old. Thanks in advance!

And here's a cute one of my favorite little Lavender Lila, just for fun! (11 wks)

BuckaBucka- its nice to see birds at that age with lots of feathers. A few years ago we were seeing lots of slow feather naked babies. Ugh.
I hope you have a trio there. The one is def a boy.

My breeding pens are all broken up for the year now. Hopefully we have something good to work with next round. I am retiring my 1 and 2 year old lavender roos as part of continual improvements. We've got 2 splits and a gorgeous slate legged lav cuckoo baby boy so far. Everybody else is too tiny to sex yet.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad they look like they are feathering in adequately. I have noticed the the olive eggers and Basque that are in with them definitely feathered in faster.

Back
Top Bottom