Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
Quote:
Yes, two copies is a given when Lavender is expressed. And yes, black split for lavender means the bird carries only one copy and so appears black - but can produce lavenders because when the genetic mixing comes out with two copies that chick will be lavender. I would not mix them with the Blue or Splash birds - that gets confusing fast.

Blue is dominant - if it is there it shows.

This chart explains Blue/Black/Splash pretty well:

I think we may need to make one for Lavender and Splits....

Yes, two copies is a given when Lavender is expressed. And yes, black split for lavender means the bird carries only one copy and so appears black - but can produce lavenders because when the genetic mixing comes out with two copies that chick will be lavender. I would not mix them with the Blue or Splash birds - that gets confusing fast.

Blue is dominant - if it is there it shows.

This chart explains Blue/Black/Splash pretty well:

I think we may need to make one for Lavender and Splits....

From that chart, I would guess that splash is a double copy of whatever gene produces blue. Is that correct? And lavender is a completely different gene that modifies the base color.

Thank you so much. I have a much, much better understanding of the colors.

From that chart, I would guess that splash is a double copy of whatever gene produces blue. Is that correct? And lavender is a completely different gene that modifies the base color.

Thank you so much. I have a much, much better understanding of the colors.
I'm betting you can handle big boy genetics....

Here are a couple links....

http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/

http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

Quote:
Exactly. And it sounds like you are ready for the advanced classes Dak showed you... have fun!

Oh, fun note here: Blue (the gene is abbreviated Bl - note upper case - its dominant) only modifies the black base - and lavender (gene is lav - note lower case - its recessive) modifies both Black and Red bases. So if you have a bird based on red and black then the Blue would only change the Black areas, the lavender would change both the Red and the Black.

I think I've got it! It is a similar gene (same gene?) to the gene in dogs that produces Blue Merle in Collies and Shelties, Harlequin in Great Danes (mottled black on a white background) and Dapples in Dachshunds. In dogs, the double copy for merle (splash in chickens) produces a mostly white dog but it is a semi-lethal gene causing blindness and deafness. Thanks so much for everyone's help and links.

I think I've got it! It is a similar gene (same gene?) to the gene in dogs that produces Blue Merle in Collies and Shelties, Harlequin in Great Danes (mottled black on a white background) and Dapples in Dachshunds. In dogs, the double copy for merle (splash in chickens) produces a mostly white dog but it is a semi-lethal gene causing blindness and deafness. Thanks so much for everyone's help and links.

It is good to apply what you are learning to what you have already learned to help it sink in. However many genetic experts in Mammals find chicken genetics complicated. I don't know the chemical chain for both of those genes, but chickens and birds are related to dinosaurs, not mammals, so they might be different. I think the dinosaur link is why frogs, snakes and chickens all taste the same. Dinosaurs probably tasted like chicken too.
wink.png

P.S. Scientists in China found feathers in some Hadrosaurus dinosaur eggs... so it looks like dinosaurs could have had feathers which sort of throws the whole cold blooded dinosaurs vs warm blooded mammals out the window.....

Last edited:
My foundation girls have just started laying again after all being broody at the same time. All of them did well with two nest and them piling up. Most of the eggs they laid and set had a green hue to them, but after they started laying again they all are a really nice blue color. Never heard of this and was wondering what might have change things?

They are laying with heavier blue pigment at the beginning of the laying cycle. towards the end, there is less blue so the eggs can appear more green.
I made an olive egger that went back and forth from olive to sky blue pretty regularly.
If you've ever raised Marans, its a similar (not exactly the same) situation. Or read up on the old Ameraucana thread- there are plenty of posts about almost-white eggs at the end of season.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom