Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Sorry to ask, but those chicks look like they are going to feather in white. The bottom picture that chick looks white (it could be the light) and the one above looks to have some barring or lacing on the wings. They are pretty yellow. My lavs throw whites so I see more yellow in my chicks sometimes but they will feather in white if they have more yellow. My lavs look lavender with not much if any yellow. See the two chicks on top. They are not yellow all over their heads. The one on the bottom is and feathered in all white. Here is a white pullet I hatched from my lavs. I don't have a picture of Lav Chicks as they are feathering in. Maybe someone else can help with a picture. The feathers should be all uniform in color, no darker or lighter feathers.
DMRippy, I've hatched a black chick and a white chick from your Lavender AMs. If I am listing them to sell, what do I call them? Black is a Lavender Split and white is . . . ? I really want an actual Lavender Ameraucana and not keep these. I will try with other hatching eggs in the fall.

I don't know what to call the whites. be honest with whom every you sell them too. it is a white Ameraucanas but it also carries lavender. if breed to another white it will breed true and will breed with lavender the same way. I would not use a white in a lavender pen intentionally. just muddied the waters too much..

No, that is not correct at all. Many varieties still have egg color issues. Lavs and buffs especially. Sometimes people will use a hen with less than perfect egg color because she has great type.
I can't understand why you are so doubtful of your birds- do they have yellow legs? Do they have single combs? Do they have tufts? Did you get them from a hatchery? Are they ducks?

Again, I was just curious. Sheesh.

Kaybee - I just had odd chicks hatch like that too - my adult birds are lavender, cuckoo lavender and cuckoo - somehow I hatch out two chicks that looked like they were going to be cuckoo lavender at hatch.. but they are feathering out white... and I don't know how this happened - but I also ended up with a solid black??? Because the genetics on them will be hiding too many things, I'm not going to use them in breeding.. but wow did it confuse me!

I have had chicks like that too. No whites, but I have hatched lavender silvers. Harry told me a while back that some of his older ones may have carried silver. And I know my projects sure did.

I have had chicks like that too. No whites, but I have hatched lavender silvers. Harry told me a while back that some of his older ones may have carried silver. And I know my projects sure did.   

do you have any pictures of lavender silver adults? sound really pretty. You can all those my way lol

I had a roo from her that was silver. he was really pretty too. if I get time I will try to get on the internet later and post a picture.

Thanks everyone! I'm learning so much! Right now I can only have a small flock because I live in a city neighborhood. I can only have hens and I have a list of the varieties I want to have. One day I hope to try my hand at breeding, but in the mean time I will keep reading and learning.

I didn't keep any of the lav silvers. They were pretty, but it was a whole different project I didn't have time for. It was hard enough getting the silver (duckwing) out of my cuckoos. I had a blue silver duckwing cuckoo in my f1s. She was so pretty.
Sold all of them off as EEs :(

Back
Top Bottom