Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong -

If you have a black split to blue you don't want to breed that with a lavender because blue and lavender are two different genetics.  If the bird is a solid black - that would be ok - but I don't think you can tell if its solid black or black split to Blue

You can't have a black split to blue. If it has one gene for blue it is a blue bird (two blue genes make a splash bird). Blue is an incompletely dominant gene. Unless you mean a black from a blue x blue breeding?

Quote: Sure, if you want to. The reason I made it was to educate people - the more the merrier. I borrowed the idea from one posted on facebook and then posted here for the Blues, but I believe I have changed it enough that it doesn't infringe on anybody else's possible copyrights. Basically the only thing I kept was the graphics of the birds and the arrows showing crosses.
Quote: The Blacks from a Blue x Blue breeding are Black - they do not carry Blue. Just like you said, if they had Blue they would show it. If they do not show it, they do not have it.

Here is the chart I made for Blue out of the one from Facebook. I put the number of blue genes in the birds (like I did for the Lavender) because of just this confusion. Notice the Black birds say 0, just like the Black birds in the Lavender chart do.

Last edited:
Are you able to sell lavender ameraucoma HATCHED chicks?
Thank you.

Hello and Welcome to the Lavender Ameraucana thread, and Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

In order for us to know who you are talking to you might want to quote the person who's post you are reading. Lower right hand corner, buttons say Multi (Multiple posts) Quote (quote just that post) or Reply (reply to that post). If you are on mobile version I do not know if it is the same.

So - who are you asking if they have Lavender Ameraucana hatched chicks? I don't know of anybody hatching them out now, most of the breeders I know hatch from March through May, and its prepay and wait for the chicks to ship.

Can anyone tell me when did Ameraucanas become known as Easter Eggers ??

On John Blehm's ideal chick hatchery site John says exactly that "Ameraucanas are known as the easter egger breed"........

I was in disbelief ........ but maybe there's something i don't know )?) .........

Shannon
I don't know where you are seeing that - I am only seeing the exact opposite: http://www.chickhatchery.com/FAQ.html

Aren't Ameraucana, Araucana and Easter Egg chickens the same?

No. Ameraucana (often misspelled "Americana") and Araucana chickens are both relatively new breeds and both lay blue eggs. They are different breeds with different characteristics that are defined in the APA and ABA standards. Easter Egg Chickens or Easter Eggers are not a "Standard" breed (they really aren’t even a “breed” of chicken). They are mixed breeds (aka mutts or mongrels) that happen to possess the gene for blue eggs. Just like a mixed breed dog may make a great pet but be disqualified if entered into an AKC sanctioned dog show, mixed breed poultry may be great for the backyard/barnyard but they are not “Standard” bred for exhibition and would be disqualified if entered in an APA sanctioned poultry show. Only standard breeds are meant for exhibition.
§ Wyandotte, Ameraucana, Plymouth Rock, Chantecler, Leghorn & Cornish are just a few examples of (standard) breeds of chickens. There are also some breeds, such as Braggs Mountain Buff, that are not recognized by the APA but because they breed true they are a breed of chicken by definition.
§ Red Star, ISA Brown, Cornish-Rock cross & Golden Comet are a few examples of hybrid or crossbred chickens. They are the result of crossing two breeds to produce offspring that are meant to be either superior layers or meat birds. These are not breeds (as the parent birds were) and they do not breed true. Breeding a hybrid to a hybrid does not produce a hybrid or as an example, a Golden Comet cock bred to a Golden Comet hen will not produce Golden Comet chicks.
§ Easter Eggers & many “Heinz 57” variety barnyard chickens are examples of mixed-breed chickens. These are not breeds since they don’t breed true or meet the standard (APA) requirements and they are not hybrids (crossbred) because they are usually not the product of a cross between two standard breeds.

Top of Page
How do I know I'm really getting Ameraucana chickens?

If they are advertised as Americana, Americauna, Araucana/Ameraucana or Easter Egg Chickens, you can be sure they are NOT the real thing. If they can't get the name right, they don't know what they have. Also beware of the fine print that says their chickens "are recommended for egg laying color and ability and not for exhibition" or “Our flock is multi-colored with a wide variety of colors and feather patterns” or “** Breeds marked this way are production strains and Should Not be used for 4-H”. Those disclaimers and similar ones mean they are selling mongrel chickens (mixed breeds), not Ameraucanas. Many hatcheries, both big and small, will sell anything that doesn't lay a white or brown egg as an Ameraucana or Araucana. Educate yourself about Ameraucanas before you buy. Besides all of their great practical qualities, Ameraucanas, especially bantams, from Chick Hatchery are also great for 4-H, FFA and other youth poultry projects such as showmanship competition.

Top of Page
What breeds and varieties of day-old chicks do you offer?

Chick Hatchery specializes in docile, dual-purpose, non-hybrid, standard breeds of chickens that due to their physical characteristics are especially well-suited for cold climates. Ameraucana and Chantecler chickens are some of the best breeds for those interested in self-sufficient living, sustainable agriculture, the Buy Local movement and preppers with survival in mind. Although these breeds are relatively new, as compared to some others, they can be considered as “Heritage” breeds, due to the history of their development, their unique genetic traits, their ability to reproduce without artificial insemination and the fact that they are not only bred to a “standard” but also do well in the barnyard or backyard. Some talk of “Heirloom” breeds of chickens, but heirloom refers to plants not animals. “Standard” bred poultry may be exhibited at APA sanctioned poultry shows, plus “dual-purpose” breeds are utilized for both their meat and eggs. They mature more slowly (naturally) than the commercial hybrid chickens that are bred solely for meat or eggs. If your main concern is eggs or meat please consider buying hybrid layers or meat birds. The hybrid meat and egg birds are great for what they are intended for. If you want a “standard” breed of chickens always buy from an experienced breeder/hatchery…never from a “big commercial hatchery” (FYI, Chick Hatchery is not a BIG commercial hatchery).
Please keep in mind that breeding standard bred chickens among themselves produces offspring like the parents…more standard bred chickens. You cannot breed a Cornish/Rock (hybrid) cross to another and get more hybrid meat birds like the parents were. If you are able to hatch chicks from the hybrid egg and meat type chickens that you buy from a hatchery they will be mixed breed chickens, not hybrids.
Chick Hatchery uses “compensation mating”, critical selection and other breeding practices to achieve a goal of continuous improvement and chick uniformity. Please check out the Order Form, under "Chicks" for the most up-to-date list of breeds and varieties offered and note that the list is always subject to change.
· Bantam and large fowl (LF) Ameraucana: Chick Hatchery is well known for top quality day-old Ameraucana chicks. Several varieties of both bantam and large fowl Ameraucana are bred and several varieties were originally developed here, including bantam and LF lavender, LF buff, LF black and others. Ameraucanas lay blue eggs and were admitted to the APA in 1984. These are some of the best available anywhere!
· Large fowl Chantecler: Chick Hatchery breeds buff & partridge Chantecler. Stock was obtained from several sources for these varieties and many outcrosses were made besides some cross breeding. Improvements are being seen with each new generation. Chanteclers lay brown eggs and the breed was admitted to the APA in 1921, although the buff variety is not yet recognized. This breed originated in Canada.

http://www.chickhatchery.com/index.html

Check out the article about Ameraucana chickens, by John W Blehm, for Backyard Poultry magazine.

BEWARE - Many well-known commercial hatcheries around the country pawn off their
mongrel day-old chicks calling them Araucana, Ameraucana, Americauna, Americana, etc.
Please read the Ameraucanas article before placing an order for Ameraucana chicks with any hatchery.

Chick Hatchery offers day-old Ameraucana chicks and day-old Chantecler chicks for sale.
Bantam Ameraucana chicks: buff, silver & lavender.
Large Fowl Ameraucana chicks: buff, silver, lavender & black.
Large Fowl Chantecler chicks: buff & partridge (no Chantecler chicks will be offered in 2014).

Ameraucana and Chantecler chickens are both cold-hardy breeds and Chick Hatchery has some of the very best!
Please, go to the “Chicks” page to place your order for limited hatches of day-old chicks.

I don't see anything else :confused:

Are you maybe on the wrong site - maybe this one: http://www.idealpoultry.com/item.html

Ameraucanas, known as the "Easter Egg Breed", are a multicolored breed. They have beards, muffs and a normal tail with a tail head. They are often incorrectly called Araucanas, which have ear tuffs, are rumpless, and do not have a tail head which gives them a bunny tail appearance. Most of the chicks sold as Araucanas are really Ameraucanas, which are excellent, efficient producers of large eggs of many colors and shades including blue and green.

Back
Top Bottom