Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Fretting seems to go with the lavender gene.Everyone is trying to eliminate this.Someday someone will find a way to eliminate this.

I have also heard the black bars called fretting, and that it is undesirable.

Whoever asked about the slow feathering (and please keep in mind I am not terribly knowledgable about these birds):
I posted photos of my birds as chicks and someone mentioned it was nice to see birds that age with lots of feathers. Apparently this breed had issues with chicks feathering in. The chick photos are in post 791, and the feathering comment is post 795.
And if you do check out the photos, the first chick pictured that I guessed is a girl, is actually my faster-feathering rooster. I am leaning towards keeping him. If I really get into the lavenders, though, I'll have to seek out quality blacks.

Fretting seems to go with the lavender gene.Everyone is trying to eliminate this.Someday someone will find a way to eliminate this.

Ok great! That is what I thought I know I have been culling out rooster who have a lot of it or who have more than another one...gosh by the time I cull for gold leakage and too much fretting, eye color, leg color,foot color, comb,beak, tail set,back,neck, pinched face,head width, weight it is a wonder I still HAVE a roo! Lol or hen for that matter..lol .....like us all...:rolleyes:

Ok great! That is what I thought I know I have been culling out rooster who have a lot of it or who have more than another one...gosh by the time I cull for gold leakage and too much fretting, eye color, leg color,foot color, comb,beak, tail set,back,neck, pinched face,head width, weight it is a wonder I still HAVE a roo! Lol or hen for that matter..lol .....like us all...:rolleyes:

lots of hatching! people think I hatch too much but I cull hard and only keep a few from 50-100 if I keep 10% that is good. some breeds are not as hard as others.

If "fretting" is what I referred to as stress bars, it would be a problem during the development of the feather. I've seen that a lot in parrots, especially baby parrots. It is caused by a nutritional/stress to the bird as the feather is developing. None of my other birds have any fretting, just the lavender.

Not only does the lavender's feather have stress bars/fretting, they don't develop normally so they retain their sheaths and there is a lot of dried bloody pulp left. A normal feather grows with living pulp inside. As the feather matures, that pulp is used up and by the time the feather unfurls, there isn't any. If the feather is badly damaged when the pulp is still alive, it might die and when if finally unfurls, there will be lots of dried blood/pulp. This lavender pullet has a lot of feathers that aren't developing correctly. If she were a parrot, I would be sending samples in to the lab to check for Parrot Beak and Feather Disease.

Is this with all lavenders or just lavender Ameraucanas?

Thanks.

I have also heard the black bars called fretting, and that it is undesirable.

Whoever asked about the slow feathering (and please keep in mind I am not terribly knowledgable about these birds):
I posted photos of my birds as chicks and someone mentioned it was nice to see birds that age with lots of feathers. Apparently this breed had issues with chicks feathering in. The chick photos are in post 791, and the feathering comment is post 795.
And if you do check out the photos, the first chick pictured that I guessed is a girl, is actually my faster-feathering rooster. I am leaning towards keeping him. If I really get into the lavenders, though, I'll have to seek out quality blacks.
Thanks for your reply. I was the one that asked about slow feathering.

My lavender's feathers look like your chicks--lots of feathers, but a lousy texture and quality. Mine seem to be cottony and weak. Lots of fretting, retaining feather sheaths and lots of feather pulp when the feather finally unfurls.

I have a couple of hatchery frizzled Cochins. Both have really lousy quality feathers--weak and not a lot. I think they are double copy for the frizzle gene. One looks like he has an almost naked butt. Is that what is meant by slow feathering?

Thanks.

I'm new to lavs, but I'm assuming the markings at the base of the wing are incorrect and that also means this is a cockerel??

I'm new to lavs, but I'm assuming the markings at the base of the wing are incorrect and that also means this is a cockerel??

yes it is a roo and I don't think it is even lavender. it is a blue just a really light blue. lavender also dilutes red and that red is not looking diluted to me. sorry.

Wow...these are some of the most beautiful birds I have seen!! I just got started with chickens this past Spring and I love them!! What started as 3 pets for my kids has turned into a love and passin for me :) I would love to have one of these chickens, do you know where or if it is possible for me to buy one? What color are their eggs? Thanks in advance for any info...

Back
Top Bottom