Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Wow...these are some of the most beautiful birds I have seen!! I just got started with chickens this past Spring and I love them!! What started as 3 pets for my kids has turned into a love and passin for me :) I would love to have one of these chickens, do you know where or if it is possible for me to buy one? What color are their eggs? Thanks in advance for any info...

Some of the folks on this thread will either sell hatching eggs or may even ship out day-old hatchlings at certain times of the year. Good luck - I totally lucked into the eggs we were shipped earlier this summer and had 6/18 hatch into 2 Lavs and 4 Splits - out of the 6 total, I have a Lav roo and a Split roo, a Lav hen and 3 Split hens. I need to get photos up for the sweethearts that shipped the eggs to me so they can see how well they're doing. That, and I want to get input on how they look from the experienced folks here! May have to do that today. :)

Alright Little Wing (and all the others wanting to see our babies from June's special delivery hatch) - here you go!

All you experienced folks, let me know what you think about feather quality, eye, etc. - with each photo I'll list their breeding background, too, as I know at least one of those breeders frequents this thread.

Here's a few of them, foraging in the shade of the canna lilies in their pen...

Again, some of them are coming out of the greenery to investigate why Mama is sitting on the ground with a funny-looking thing in her hand...

This is "Darlene," our friendliest split pullet (Shaffer lav roo X Ribbeck x Shaffer split hen) - sorry for the sunlight fading the photo quality. I've not seen any leakage anywhere on her and the comb is actually a light baby pink. Her eyes are a dark gray.

This is "Ranger," the lav cockerel (Shaffer lav roo X Ribbeck x Shaffer/Smith lav hen) - the photo doesn't show it too well, but he does have fretting on his head, hackle, saddle, and wing feathers. He's very sweet, so killing to cull doesn't make much sense - but he will be relocated once he's full-size into the layer flock, as all our Aussie/Giants/wheaten EE roos are going to be dinner by late fall. He'll be one of two roosters over a harem of 14 hens.

A frontal shot of "Ranger" where you can see the lighter-gray coloring of his eyes and how pink his comb is. He's so friendly and loves to be held and petted. :)

This is "Cash," our split cockerel (Shaffer lav roo X Ribbeck x Shaffer split hen). A little more flighty than Ranger, yet he has soft full feathers with no leakage. His comb is very "hot pink" colored even though the sunlight faded out a lot of the coloring here. He'll probably be the best cockerel choice for breeding - thoughts?

A shot of Cash's back, showing the bright teal/green iridescence in his feathers in full sunlight (it's bright out here this morning). As you can see, his feathers aren't leaking through any silver, gold, or lavender feather color and they're very well-formed.

This is "Lacey," the only lav pullet (Shaffer lav roo X Ribbeck x Shaffer/Smith lav hen) and we're lucky to have her. She almost didn't make it through her hatch, and I had to intervene to help her shell crack open completely so she could breathe. She has no feather fretting, feathered in right on schedule, and I haven't seen any odd-looking or splitting feathers the whole time she's had feathers instead of fluff. She'll probably be one of the breeding hens, even though her eyes are the same light-gray color that Ranger's are.

A shot of Lacey's back, showing absence of fretting in feather color and the uniform coverage. (the goldish/brownish color on her right wing is mud, we had some rain last night and she was up early dust-bathing and got dirty)

Right-side view of Lacey - again showing the mud from this morning's bathing and playing festivities, but also showing that even with the wind ruffling her feathers, they're still very well-formed and uniformly-colored.

"Hello!" She's a flighty girl, but once you're handling her, she calms right down and poses for the camera. This shot shows her eye color well.

Let me know what you all think of Seth's (and mine too!) babies - he goes out every night with me to feed and water, and spends some time sitting on the grass and holding grain in his hand for treats, if we can't find any juicy worms to offer.

Pic of my Lav Pullet, Flash, she is 17 1/2 week.

Hi, I hope this is okay -- I wanted to jump on here and see if anyone near me is raising lav ams. I have three lovely pullets just coming into lay, and no roo for them :-( I'm hoping there's someone at least in the state who might have a breeder roo for sale! If anyone knows someone in Ohio (I'm in Mansfield) who might have lavender ameraucanas, would you please pm me? Thanks very much!

Hi, I hope this is okay -- I wanted to jump on here and see if anyone near me is raising lav ams. I have three lovely pullets just coming into lay, and no roo for them :-(   I'm hoping there's someone at least in the state who might have a breeder roo for sale! If anyone knows someone in Ohio (I'm in Mansfield) who might have lavender ameraucanas, would you please pm me? Thanks very much!
Check here http://ameraucana.org/DnLd/BreedersDirectory.pdf

Alright Little Wing (and all the others wanting to see our babies from June's special delivery hatch) - here you go!

All you experienced folks, let me know what you think about feather quality, eye, etc. - with each photo I'll list their breeding background, too, as I know at least one of those breeders frequents this thread.

Here's a few of them, foraging in the shade of the canna lilies in their pen...

Again, some of them are coming out of the greenery to investigate why Mama is sitting on the ground with a funny-looking thing in her hand...

This is "Darlene," our friendliest split pullet (Shaffer lav roo X Ribbeck x Shaffer split hen) - sorry for the sunlight fading the photo quality. I've not seen any leakage anywhere on her and the comb is actually a light baby pink. Her eyes are a dark gray.

This is "Ranger," the lav cockerel (Shaffer lav roo X Ribbeck x Shaffer/Smith lav hen) - the photo doesn't show it too well, but he does have fretting on his head, hackle, saddle, and wing feathers. He's very sweet, so killing to cull doesn't make much sense - but he will be relocated once he's full-size into the layer flock, as all our Aussie/Giants/wheaten EE roos are going to be dinner by late fall. He'll be one of two roosters over a harem of 14 hens.

A frontal shot of "Ranger" where you can see the lighter-gray coloring of his eyes and how pink his comb is. He's so friendly and loves to be held and petted. :)

This is "Cash," our split cockerel (Shaffer lav roo X Ribbeck x Shaffer split hen). A little more flighty than Ranger, yet he has soft full feathers with no leakage. His comb is very "hot pink" colored even though the sunlight faded out a lot of the coloring here. He'll probably be the best cockerel choice for breeding - thoughts?

A shot of Cash's back, showing the bright teal/green iridescence in his feathers in full sunlight (it's bright out here this morning). As you can see, his feathers aren't leaking through any silver, gold, or lavender feather color and they're very well-formed.

This is "Lacey," the only lav pullet (Shaffer lav roo X Ribbeck x Shaffer/Smith lav hen) and we're lucky to have her. She almost didn't make it through her hatch, and I had to intervene to help her shell crack open completely so she could breathe. She has no feather fretting, feathered in right on schedule, and I haven't seen any odd-looking or splitting feathers the whole time she's had feathers instead of fluff. She'll probably be one of the breeding hens, even though her eyes are the same light-gray color that Ranger's are.

A shot of Lacey's back, showing absence of fretting in feather color and the uniform coverage. (the goldish/brownish color on her right wing is mud, we had some rain last night and she was up early dust-bathing and got dirty)

Right-side view of Lacey - again showing the mud from this morning's bathing and playing festivities, but also showing that even with the wind ruffling her feathers, they're still very well-formed and uniformly-colored.

"Hello!" She's a flighty girl, but once you're handling her, she calms right down and poses for the camera. This shot shows her eye color well.

Let me know what you all think of Seth's (and mine too!) babies - he goes out every night with me to feed and water, and spends some time sitting on the grass and holding grain in his hand for treats, if we can't find any juicy worms to offer.

Hi Ashley. Thanks for posting the pics. I was hoping to hear from some of the breeders also. Not sure why they won't respond to you.

In my very un-expert (and unbiased
wink.png
) opinion, they look great. Lacy is gorgeous. I wouldn't give up on Ranger just yet either, he is still young.
Try and get some more pics from a side view of them standing up.
smile.png

I am just glad that you all got some quality birds to work with. Heck, they must look pretty good because if there was something major wrong someone would have jumped on it like a chicken on a junebug. Good luck with them and please let us know if we can do anything else.

Enjoy Seth!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom