Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

I would love some critique on my Lavender Ameraucana pullets and cockerells.

Nice group of lav.They look young and it is hard to judge tail angle on the males due to tail still growing in.The pullet in the third pic has a good pose and I like the shape and tail angle.I am sure some are better than the rest but it is hard to tell in pictures.Look for obvious faults.Underweight is often a issue on lavender.Look for straight combs in both sexes.Cull crooked combs,crooked keel [ breast bone] Stubs ect.

Hello everyone, wanted to ask a question and see if anyone might have an answer for me....
I have a Splash Silkied AM rooster I was wanting to know if I put him over my Lavender AM hen what would I get or would it be a bad idea? I should also say the reason being is she is alone in this coop and I want to put my Silkied AM's in it, but would like to leave her in it.
Thanks Michele

Last edited:
Hello everyone, wanted to ask a question and see if anyone might have an answer for me....
I have a Splash Silkied AM rooster I was wanting to know if I put him over my Lavender AM hen what would I get or would it be a bad idea? I should also say the reason being is she is alone in this coop and I want to put my Silkied AM's in it, but would like to leave her in it.
Thanks Michele
I think it would be a bad idea if you are going to hatch chicks. No problem if you are going to eat the eggs. Lavender and Blue are two different genes, and when you mix the two you can get both splash and lavender at the same time - and they can be very hard to tell apart as chicks. The Silkie people did that and they are still having people mix the two "Blues" - with very confusing results in the chicks and even as adults. It might be slightly easier on the regular feathered birds, but I personally wouldn't chance it. The Lavender hen would throw all blue chicks, but all chicks would carry one copy of Lavender as well. I don't know what lacing does for the lavender gene, but its hard enough to get good laced blues as it is. Its the next breeding that could mess things up. If you could just memorize her eggs and not hatch them that would be fine.

Yeah, a site specifcly for one of my chicken breeds!
My Lavender, and blue Ameraucauna's are so beautiful, and so are yours !
I have only had them 7 months, (got them a week old). I have been patiently waiting for the girls to lay an egg. The two roos have been crowing since they were 6 months old, and are now one is trying to mount the girls. He has the "hold-em-by- the- neck", down, but can't figure out what to do with his legs yet, LOL.
The girls combs haven't pinked up yet, so I know they aren't quite ready to lay an egg yet.
My Q: At what age do they start laying eggs?

I am looking for a place to either get chicks or eggs to hatch. Any suggestions of places to get the Lavender Ameraucana? Or anyone near Iowa lol

I am looking for a place to either get chicks or eggs to hatch. Any suggestions of places to get the Lavender Ameraucana? Or anyone near Iowa lol

BYC has an advertising section (buy and sell) it's listed in the FORUM section .... just go to 'buy and sell' then go to either hatching eggs or baby chicks - you will be pleasantly supprised (i see good bred Lavender Ameraucanas all the time there)

Shannon

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom