Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Quote:
I had two boys with leakage. A Split with gold (very bad and crooked toes too) and the Lav/Silver boy. I still have the Lav/Silver - going to keep him because he will make some really pretty Lav EEs down the road. I didn't take any pictures of the Split before I processed him, he had gotten really really bad - looked like gold striped black. The tips of his toes (all of them) curled back and almost touched his feet.

This is the split with the gold, see how awful his toes were? Those specks turned into gold and got bigger and longer and brighter.

This is the Lavender before it got really bad, notice the light/dark on his neck and by his saddle. Messy face from eating wet fermented feed.

This is the one without the leakage today. He was having a crowing contest with his brother - and was just about to crow again.

This is the one with the leakage. See the white edge on his neck, wings and saddle feathers? Very obvious.

Here he is again, other side.

If pip is the word for the hole the chick makes in the egg shell, what is the word for the hole the chick makes in the white sack in order to get to the air pocket, before he gets to the egg shell?

That is called an internal pip. The other is an external pip. The white sack is called a membrane since you want to find out the correct words to use.

Thank you chickeNmamma, yes, I need to learn the correct words for the terms we use. Thank you also for the definition of external and internal pip. I had tried to look it up, but was unsuccessful. NOW I know for sure!

I am not seeing any leakage on this bird. I have a Lavender cockerel that has silver leakage - it is very obvious because his neck and saddle feathers are lined in a lighter color. Leakage is not on the wings, unless its red.. and I didn't see any red?
Thanks ChickNmamma. I was talking about the black color showing through. He is much darker than my other roo. Leakage only refers to gold or silver?
My Shaffer roo got really gold this summer. I heard this is pretty normal? He is around 3 yrs old. He has a great beard but I use fermented feed and the hens pick it out bad.

This one has one toe punch on his right foot inside web.
He is showing leakage pretty bad.

I don't see black leakage. not sure lavender is a leaky gene like that. are you sure he is lavender? it almost looks blue. blue is a leaky gene and will leak black.

Last edited:
Quote:
Gold, Silver and Red are leakage. They show up on the neck (hackles), wings and back (saddle) (red mostly on wings)- all at the same time. That yellow on yours could be sunburn - it isn't on every feather. Lavender is stripped black - really stripped - so I am sure the feathers suffer from sun exposure pretty badly. I have one grooming hen too - when I figure out who she is she may go in with the beardless boys!

I do not know if they call darkness on a Lavender "leakage". The one boy I have has fretting on his feathers (black lines) and a dark gray head - its caused when the feathers grow and stop - they are black when they stop - when they grow they are Lavender. The Silver Leakage boy doesn't have the fretting or the dark head - he is much lighter.

Its possible the darker ones are not as desirable for breeding - but that's what I have. My Light boy shows silver, the darker one is a single color but darker with a dark head and fretting. I know the fretting is not desirable - the one Lav hen I have does not have it...

Anybody?

Thanks ChickNmamma. I was talking about the black color showing through. He is much darker than my other roo. Leakage only refers to gold or silver?
My Shaffer roo got really gold this summer. I heard this is pretty normal? He is around 3 yrs old. He has a great beard but I use fermented feed and the hens pick it out bad.
I still don't see leakage as I understand it. It looks like he has old feathers (faded) and new feathers (darker, richer color). I hope the experts weigh in.

Back
Top Bottom