Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

At what age do you use a toe punch? I have just gotten into chickens and plan on hatching a lot in the spring. I was wondering about how to use this system. Has anyone made an instruction article on BYC?
It is used on the webbing between the toes.The ones they sell are small [I loose them ] and you have to be careful to not just put a hole in the web as it will heal shut.It needs to cut the edge.I find a ear notcher for hogs works better for me.Available at most farm stores.I painted mine orange so I can find them easier.Use then at hatch.

Little Wing,

He'd be pen 4. I don't see leakage.
Well after checking it out a little closer, turns out 2 webs were punched and slit. #1 and #4. That would make him pen #5.
Thanks again for the toe punch info.
smile.png

Quote:
If everybody is eating the same thing and one bird is that bad - I would say that one has a genetic problem. If everybody has curled toes - then look to the feed.

I have one Lav with one slightly curled toe - the other three and all the girls do not have curled toes. I am keeping him.

Curled toes can also be caused by incubating temperatures. But once again, if it only shows on one bird - there is something genetically not sound there...

Haven't seen any of the toe curling on the Am's, but I did have two of my Aussie chicks that I ordered from MPC this spring that had it appearing within 2 weeks of age. The rest of the birds (by that point I had a hodge-podge of breeds) didn't show any toe curling, so we instinctively knew it had to be genetic and not feed or incubation temp related, as they were all on the same starter/grower feed and in the same brooder together.

RE: Toe/Web punching - that's a nifty system in order to keep track of the bloodlines! We've just used colored zip ties (now bands) to differentiate who's from who's lineage/breeding. With six right now, I don't have to carry around my color-coded list to know who's who, but I'm certain that when I start breeding next year myself, I'll have to use a more efficient way to keep track. I've been researching this for about a week. Great info!

I agree. I know all my birds, but I still keep records because after a couple years you begin to forget who came who. The leg bands are OK, but I've had them come off when out free ranging. I like the different colored tie wraps when I'm trying to decide which rooster to keep. You can identify them easily from a distance.

I have a flock of 20 or so juvenile Lavender splits for sale split approximately evenly between males and females. PM if interested. I will NOT ship, and am in northwest New Mexico.

Pictured are the sire and one of the dams. These are project birds.

I have a flock of 20 or so juvenile Lavender splits for sale split approximately evenly between males and females. PM if interested. I will NOT ship, and am in northwest New Mexico.

Pictured are the sire and one of the dams. These are project birds.

They are beautiful! I don't know anything about SOP but that hen is absolutely gorgeous. I hope mine grow up to be so lovely!

Back
Top Bottom