Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Beautiful girl, and lovely egg! I keep looking, but my girls (who are 7 months old) have yet to lay!
I'm in FL so it hasn't gotten cold but I was starting to think with less daylight I was going to have to wait till Spring to get eggs . 3 of my girls started this week, all different breeds but all the same age.

Flash gave me her first egg today at 26 wks.
smile.png

What color is the egg? It looks white in the photo.

Dianne88 ,

Mine sometimes lay thru the winter except when we have a bad cold week or so but mostly if fed correctly , penned right and taken good care of they can lay lay & lay .

I'm just up across the line in Alabama (Andalusia & Opp area) . It's good to know that somebody in our area has good Ameraucanas plus it being Lavenders !!!!

RE: Toe/Web punching - that's a nifty system in order to keep track of the bloodlines! We've just used colored zip ties (now bands) to differentiate who's from who's lineage/breeding. With six right now, I don't have to carry around my color-coded list to know who's who, but I'm certain that when I start breeding next year myself, I'll have to use a more efficient way to keep track. I've been researching this for about a week. Great info!
There is also wing banding…I haven't tried but some folks swear by it.. The colored leg bands help at a distance but i have never been able to keep them on and find them in the pens even when i use the smaller ones. Colored tie wraps need to be inspected often. Even adult legs thicken over time and could bind and cause infection.

Quote: We actually change out the colored zip ties every month at the longest, and leave a decent bit of growing space between the leg and the tie. :)
I've heard of wing-banding too, but never have met anyone who does it. My f-i-l raises champion roller pigeons for competition, and buys really nice rounded metal bands for their legs. Each bird has its own "serial" number. His setup of ID is pretty involving but spot-on.

I wing banded a few birds this year - it was very easy and its nice for record keeping because each band has a number on it. I actually am even looking into getting ones with a bar code that can be scanned with a cell phone. If I can get someone to write a chicken breeding app for me I would invest in them :)

I wing banded a few birds this year - it was very easy and its nice for record keeping because each band has a number on it. I actually am even looking into getting ones with a bar code that can be scanned with a cell phone. If I can get someone to write a chicken breeding app for me I would invest in them :)

You can get the wing bands with your name on one side and the different numbers on other side .... also can get different colored wing bands . I love the brass looking ones , been using them for years .

You might be able to contact one of the devs at Android/Apple apps market to see if they'd be able to do something like that. They do it for everything else under the sun, I'm surprised no one has thought of this yet! Great idea.

Back
Top Bottom