Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Hi all!

Am looking for confirmation of sex on these three, twelve-week old Lavender Ameraucana, please? They're young still but I am guessing from the three ridges that are starting to come up on the two roos and then the pullet just looks like a girl. She's smaller and has no ridge/crest at all. Thanks for any thoughts on their conformation, as well. (To the extent one can see that at 12 weeks…)
Roo

Same guy

Roo

Pullet - she's a little darker than this but the flash blew her out a bit.

Hi all!

Am looking for confirmation of sex on these three, twelve-week old Lavender Ameraucana, please? They're young still but I am guessing from the three ridges that are starting to come up on the two roos and then the pullet just looks like a girl. She's smaller and has no ridge/crest at all. Thanks for any thoughts on their conformation, as well. (To the extent one can see that at 12 weeks…)
Roo

Same guy

Roo

Pullet - she's a little darker than this but the flash blew her out a bit.

I would tend to agree with you. The first one is definitely a cockerel. The second one's picture is not that great to tell for sure but with that redness probably also a cockerel. The last one looks like a pullet to me.

Here are my pair. They are 22 weeks old. The cockerel is in the front on the picture of them both.

Levy (on the left) and Livvy (on the right) the Lovely Lavenders

Last edited:
Yes, this is only my third post and the first on this board, but I have been lurking for a while. I will get my first Ameraucanas this spring from Paul/Angela Smith, and yes I feel like I won the lottery.
I will be getting some blacks and 2 lavenders which I hope are two pullets. I am sure that at some point, I might want to breed. I have read some of the postings where if you mate black roo's and lavender hens you will get blacks, lavs, and splits. What are splits? Part black and part lavender? Sorry, but I had to ask. A picture would be even better. Or is it a black that has a lavender parent?

Yes, this is only my third post and the first on this board, but I have been lurking for a while. I will get my first Ameraucanas this spring from Paul/Angela Smith, and yes I feel like I won the lottery.
I will be getting some blacks and 2 lavenders which I hope are two pullets. I am sure that at some point, I might want to breed. I have read some of the postings where if you mate black roo's and lavender hens you will get blacks, lavs, and splits. What are splits? Part black and part lavender? Sorry, but I had to ask. A picture would be even better. Or is it a black that has a lavender parent?

They are visually black but when bred back to a lavender can produce lavender. It is done primarily because there is another gene that links with the lavender that causes poor feather structure. Breeding back to black improves the feather structure. Some of these folks who actually breed the lavs can tell you for sure but it seems that (from observing what people say) that every three generations you need to breed to a black to keep your feather quality up.

Back
Top Bottom