Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Reading up on egg shell color & genetics behind it is very interesting. Here is an excerpt answering my question as well:

"Ameraucana birds have the pigment oocyanin deposited on the egg as it travels through the oviduct. This pigment permeates the egg shell resulting in the interior and exterior of the egg being the same blue color. Chickens that lay brown tinted eggs deposit the pigment protoporphyrin on the eggs late in the process of forming the shell. The pigment therefore does not penetrate the interior of the egg, but tints only the surface of the egg, which is why brown eggs are white on the interior"

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/why_are_chicken_eggs_different_colors

Reading up on egg shell color & genetics behind it is very interesting. Here is an excerpt answering my question as well:

"Ameraucana birds have the pigment oocyanin deposited on the egg as it travels through the oviduct. This pigment permeates the egg shell resulting in the interior and exterior of the egg being the same blue color. Chickens that lay brown tinted eggs deposit the pigment protoporphyrin on the eggs late in the process of forming the shell. The pigment therefore does not penetrate the interior of the egg, but tints only the surface of the egg, which is why brown eggs are white on the interior"

http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/why_are_chicken_eggs_different_colors

Also, some of the brown pigment is deposited in the calcareous components of the shell, not just the cuticle.

http://en.engormix.com/MA-poultry-i...orphyrin-shell-cuticle-brown-t2701/103-p0.htm

Eggs only come in 2 colors.... White and Blue. All brown painted eggs are white eggs. The magic of this is how we can make olive eggers.

The brown really should not be there with Ameraucanas.

Eggs only come in 2 colors.... White and Blue. All brown painted eggs are white eggs. The magic of this is how we can make olive eggers.

The brown really should not be there with Ameraucanas.

What is the best method to get bluer eggs without having to add in new lines? Can it be done if they all happen to carry one of the numerous "brown egg" genes?

My LF Lavender Ameraucana from Paul Smith lays a blue egg with no green tint to it. She laid a LOT of eggs through the winter--usually five eggs a week--and most of the color has been depleted. She has a very, very pale blue egg now with no green.
Mine come from P Smith too. One lays a nice light blue and the other is greenish.
This is my LF Lavender's first egg. Can you tell I was excited about it?
Yes lol. Those first eggs are awesome. You wait so long its such a treat when they come
Mine are as good as my Wheaten Ams.
My wheaten lay a very nice blue too

Last edited:
faykokowv, you mean you had to" PAY" to join a forum?....I will be raising Lavander Ameracaunas also very soon...I just ordered a dozen...They will be all from one hatch so I will not know how many hens or roos I will get...Lets hope I get a lot of hens....I had lavs. before and lost them all to raccoons....This time I hope my hen house will be more solid.....Anyway, I will be reading all anyone has to say on here about raising these lavender Americaunas....I loved my birds....I also had lav.Orpingtons and I didn't care for those...They had a lot of yellow on their wings.....looking forward to reading all everyone has to offer...Thanks.....Dexterlady

Back
Top Bottom