Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Quote: Double barred males will pass off barring to 100% of the chicks. Sex links would use barred hens. Cuckoo is supposed to be autosexing but that is a skill to be able to do it accurately. I can't use head spots to sex my GSBR.

Those are looking pretty nice! I do like those. How is the feathering with the lavender? Is it better?

feather quality is much better - no fretting at all - still working on egg color though

I suppose we could use single barring factor roosters- we've got that now. I'll be going some test breeding in the fall with one cuckoo rooster over a lavender hen and the other over a cuckoo hen - I'll keep you posted on the results

feather quality is much better - no fretting at all - still working on egg color though

I suppose we could use single barring factor roosters- we've got that now. I'll be going some test breeding in the fall with one cuckoo rooster over a lavender hen and the other over a cuckoo hen - I'll keep you posted on the results
What was the cross to get the barring? I have a barred EE hen and she will through single barred roos from my lavender.... so they are split for lavender. I was thinking feather quality might improve with the barring.

I'm not sure what Jerryse used - Figandgoose (happymtn) used a very light egg laying cuckoo maran - I believe its been about 4 generations back in regards to my current generation - but it may have been further back than that.

Here are some project pictures . The young chicks are sex linked . 6 males on left 4 females on right . The older chicks are cuckoo split for lavender and lavender cuckoo. Lavender should be able to sex at around 4-8 weeks. Trying to get the project birds to a point where I can make purebred sex links . Next year for sure on lavender . Maybe black and blue next year. I will have to see how these sex links look as adults . I may need 1 more generation . As to what I used it was barred rock about 4 generations back plus a line that got barring from white leghorn about 8 generations back. Combined the 2 lines about 2 years ago. Excellent layers due to production bred birds. The white egg layer mixed with brown made for a good egg color. Seldom see any white in the ear lobes. Due to crossing back to purebreds no tinted layers . Only when using project cocks on project hens does one pop up. Very rare . I will add a egg picture. The tinted egg is out of the project. I bred siblings together last year from the best leg color . The tinted layer was a single comb. It shows what kind of tint they have without blue. As you can see the shade of blue varies but no really green eggs.

Last edited:

Here are some project pictures . The young chicks are sex linked . 6 males on left 4 females on right . The older chicks are cuckoo split for lavender and lavender cuckoo. Lavender should be able to sex at around 4-8 weeks. Trying to get the project birds to a point where I can make purebred sex links . Next year for sure on lavender . Maybe black and blue next year. I will have to see how these sex links look as adults . I may need 1 more generation . As to what I used it was barred rock about 4 generations back plus a line that got barring from white leghorn about 8 generations back. Combined the 2 lines about 2 years ago. Excellent layers due to production bred birds. The white egg layer mixed with brown made for a good egg color. Seldom see any white in the ear lobes. Due to crossing back to purebreds no tinted layers . Only when using project cocks on project hens does one pop up. Very rare . I will add a egg picture. The tinted egg is out of the project. I bred siblings together last year from the best leg color . The tinted layer was a single comb. It shows what kind of tint they have without blue. As you can see the shade of blue varies but no really green eggs.
OK. That is about what I have. I have a barred EE that came from some pure Ameraucanas covered by a Sex Link Roo. She has a pea comb lays a nice sized greener egg. The Lavender Am roo's sister laid a pretty BLUE egg so that should improve in the chicks. Not sure I want another project though LOL. Feel free to make posts here about your progress. How is leg color? I know that was thought to be a issue with cuckoo Ams. I have heard Goose and Fig say she was not having that problem.

OK. That is about what I have. I have a barred EE that came from some pure Ameraucanas covered by a Sex Link Roo. She has a pea comb lays a nice sized greener egg. The Lavender Am roo's sister laid a pretty BLUE egg so that should improve in the chicks. Not sure I want another project though LOL. Feel free to make posts here about your progress. How is leg color? I know that was thought to be a issue with cuckoo Ams. I have heard Goose and Fig say she was not having that problem.

The lavender cuckoo has less trouble with leg color . I should have some double barred cockerels growing up . Time will tell how those fare. Part of the reason I made cuckoo split for lavender was to see if lavender as a recessive would give better leg color especially for double barred males .

Hey all.... any guesses on my 3 week old Lavender Ameraucanas?
#1............... possible pullet.

Roo

Pullet??

pullet?? I am hoping that at least one of the Lavender colored ones is a pullet. The last one is Little Bit. If it turns out to be a pullet I will keep her.

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie to lavender ameraucana's so new infact that I'm just getting my first hatch today!! Yippee
OK question, I have one little guy that has a black beak and some others that have yellowish beaks.
Just want to know which is desirable and will the other beaks change to black?
Is there a written lavender breed standard yet?
Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom