Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Hello everyone...

My chicks are a week old and thriving. I was wondering if Lavender Ameraucanas can be sexed by looking at pin and wing feathers. Of my four chicks, 3 of them have pronounced pin tail feathers and wing feathers. The 1 remaining chick has only one tiny little wing feather, and his little butt is still a fuzzy thing with no emerging tail feathers at all.

Of course I was just wishing this would be true.. 3 females and one male. I'd take it.

I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

THanks,
MB

Hello everyone...

My chicks are a week old and thriving. I was wondering if Lavender Ameraucanas can be sexed by looking at pin and wing feathers. Of my four chicks, 3 of them have pronounced pin tail feathers and wing feathers. The 1 remaining chick has only one tiny little wing feather, and his little butt is still a fuzzy thing with no emerging tail feathers at all.

Of course I was just wishing this would be true.. 3 females and one male. I'd take it.

I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

THanks,
MB
I have heard that feather sexing does not work with this breed. Keep track of them though. It could be interesting. I also have Lav Ams. 3 hatched Lavender and one hatched black, but will breed lavender. The guess on mine is 2 lav are roo and two and pullet.

BTW.... I posted a couple of weeks ago about having a very aggressive roo chick... well, I broke him of it and now he is a sweet as can be. I put him in "jail" and for a few days in the afternoon, he free ranged with the big girls. Except for the normal play fighting... all is well.
thumbsup.gif

I was told that within the same breed, females will get pin tail feathers before males. Same as for wings. I'm skeptical because there seems to be a clear cut difference between the three with feather growth and the one who still basically looks the same as when it hatched. I tried to get some pictures for comparison.
[/IMG]

It will be interesting to follow, and see if this proves through.

MB

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom