Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

I was told that within the same breed, females will get pin tail feathers before males. Same as for wings. I'm skeptical because there seems to be a clear cut difference between the three with feather growth and the one who still basically looks the same as when it hatched. I tried to get some pictures for comparison.
[/URL]

It will be interesting to follow, and see if this proves through.

MB
Yes it would be. Please keep us posted.

I'm hoping to get some help from experienced Lav breeders. What are the faults in my birds? I have one cock and four hens. I am hatching a batch from these guys to select as breeders for next year and want to know what to look for for improvements. I had a very hard time getting pictures of the girls. I think with some help I should be able to get better pictures from both sides with them standing square. Thank you!

1. Earl (my only cock at this time). He seems to have nice feathering, but is comb is a bit "blobby". I really need to weigh the birds, but he does seem really light when I pick him up. His wing also seems to be low in the second picture.

Hen 4 - Lighter in color than the other three.

Hen 3 -

Hen 1 - Seems to be the largest by feel.

Hen 2 - Smallest by far, feathering is a bit rough but it may be shredding from breeding season.

Hi all.
I am in NC and recently purchased 6 beautiful lavs am. The breeder said to cross them back to a Paul Smith black roo. I am wondering of anyone has a black split or black roo. Mine are only one to four weeks old so no rush, but though i would try to get on someone's waiting list.

Hi Emily88. I am in SC and I have some 8 week old chicks from Clif Redden in KS. I MAY have an extra black (not split) and I most likely have a lav cockerel I would be willing to part with. I am waiting for them to mature a bit more to decide who stays. If you are interested, you are welcome to pm me.

I have seen some chicks that were blue that were from a lavender roo over white hens. They are just slightly darker than my lavender chick. In order to be considered "a blue", do both parents have to be from direct blue lines? Chicken genetics are so confusing!

I have seen some chicks that were blue that were from a lavender roo over white hens. They are just slightly darker than my lavender chick. In order to be considered "a blue", do both parents have to be from direct blue lines? Chicken genetics are so confusing!

White often carries blue . Blue is blue no matter how it was bred . However your blue is carrying lavender .

Close to the same color, but a different gene. Lavender breeds true. If you breed a lav to a lav, you get lav, or lav to black, you get split to lav, they all carry the lav gene. With blue to blue, you get blue, black and double blue (splash) chicks. If you breed blue to black, you get 25% blue, the rest black. Blue is never split, but more dominate colors like dom white can cover it up. Blue is a modifier gene that minimizes black, not a color on it's own. :...stan

I just got some lavs from P. Smith. I'm am in love with the coloring. Looks like I have two pullets so I'll breed back to black for some Roos and hopefully get my own line going. I've read through the thread and can't wait to use the knowledge I've gotten from you all. Thanks for sharing and teaching!!

Here is LeLu at 5 weeks:

Close to the same color, but a different gene. Lavender breeds true. If you breed a lav to a lav, you get lav, or lav to black, you get split to lav, they all carry the lav gene. With blue to blue, you get blue, black and double blue (splash) chicks. If you breed blue to black, you get 25% blue, the rest black. Blue is never split, but more dominate colors like dom white can cover it up. Blue is a modifier gene that minimizes black, not a color on it's own. :...stan

Thank you for your reply. I know lav is recessive. But is blue considered an accepted color by the APA (I THINK that's what it's called)? I'm only asking because if I want to get some of these, I want to be able to enter my kids in 4-H so they can show animals. Also, if I want to breed and sell what I can't keep, I don't want to mislead anyone by claiming that they are blue if they really are not.

Back
Top Bottom