Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

I've been told that there is no splash for Lavenders??? Please let me know what your experiences are. I have a pure white one and one that is definitely splash so don't know where that is coming from.
Thanks (I'll take pics when camera done charging)
No splash in Lavenders. Lavender only express with 2 copies and should breed true. The only way you can get a SPLASH from a Lavender might be if someone used Blue in the mix and that is a BIG NO NO.

I've been told that there is no splash for Lavenders??? Please let me know what your experiences are. I have a pure white one and one that is definitely splash so don't know where that is coming from.
Thanks (I'll take pics when camera done charging)
Splash is a double blue gene. Different gene than lavender which is self blue, meaning it breeds true.

Well the Brits say don't breed blue to lavenders and then you go to their Orpington pictures and they are lavenders with one blue gene, they also exported the same here. A bird that carries one blue gene and two lavender genes breed to an identical mate will produce a splash with lavender markings.

I have orps with one blue and two lavender genes and they are the color I am after. I have offsprings right now but the males do not have the blue gene and the color appears to be clear without all the black flecking in the neck area. I have added a splash male from Paul Smith to my lavender line this year. Got several blues split lavender but kept all the females so far and one fast feathering male.

There are a lot of myths out there so one needs to decipher which is real and which are fantasy just like the BBS myth.

Well the Brits say don't breed blue to lavenders and then you go to their Orpington pictures and they are lavenders with one blue gene, they also exported the same here. A bird that carries one blue gene and two lavender genes breed to an identical mate will produce a splash with lavender markings.

I have orps with one blue and two lavender genes and they are the color I am after. I have offsprings right now but the males do not have the blue gene and the color appears to be clear without all the black flecking in the neck area. I have added a splash male from Paul Smith to my lavender line this year. Got several blues split lavender but kept all the females so far and one fast feathering male.

There are a lot of myths out there so one needs to decipher which is real and which are fantasy just like the BBS myth.
Sounds like you are saying that there is a splash lavender?? If the blue is just a diluter, why could you not dilute the lavender color just like we dilute the black to get traditional splash? Could you explain the BBS myth? I either believe it or haven't heard of it, cause I don't know what it is....lol

A bird with two blue genes would be a splash and lavender double genes will be lavender so the color comes out as a lavender splash.

The BBS myth was created to sell eggs and chicks. There is no way to visually to tell if the blacks and splashes that are used are homozygous for the pattern genes necessary to produce a good blue. The same with the offsprings that are black and splash from blue to blue breeding. Only from a flock that has been closed bred for several generations that produced top quality blues consistantly would the blacks and splashes be of any use in a breeding program. Otherwise they should be sold as pet quality. Lot of the blacks from these would possibly show a purple sheen instead of the green sheen. Good blues should be silver base and good blacks should be gold/red base. So if you want good blues that are consistant you need to search for a breeder that is successful with this color consistently. IMO

Oh, I do not breed blues.

Last edited:
A bird with two blue genes would be a splash and lavender double genes will be lavender so the color comes out as a lavender splash.

The BBS myth was created to sell eggs and chicks. There is no way to visually to tell if the blacks and splashes that are used are homozygous for the pattern genes necessary to produce a good blue. The same with the offsprings that are black and splash from blue to blue breeding. Only from a flock that has been closed bred for several generations that produced top quality blues consistantly would the blacks and splashes be of any use in a breeding program. Otherwise they should be sold as pet quality. Lot of the blacks from these would possibly show a purple sheen instead of the green sheen. Good blues should be silver base and good blacks should be gold/red base. So if you want good blues that are consistant you need to search for a breeder that is successful with this color consistently. IMO

Oh, I do not breed blues.
What colors are silver based?

What does a purple sheen mean? I have some with purple and green on the same bird.

How old are the ones with both purple and green sheen. If they are young birds going thru the molt I would wait. Some say the purple also comes from their diet/stress. I have seen the purple come from using blues over blacks.

Whites, blues and lavender should be silver base IMO. Blacks should be gold base. I only raise black, lavender and white birds.

How old are the ones with both purple and green sheen. If they are young birds going thru the molt I would wait. Some say the purple also comes from their diet/stress. I have seen the purple come from using blues over blacks.

Whites, blues and lavender should be silver base IMO. Blacks should be gold base. I only raise black, lavender and white birds.
They are young birds, just four months old. They are getting more and more of a green sheen.

I would guess all my blacks, blues and splashes are based on gold. How can I tell?

Where would I get silver base from? Blue (and splash) are the colors I want to concentrate on. I do have a lavender hen--how would I tell if she were based on silver? I don't like that the blues fade and get rusty in the sun. I read somewhere that blues with a gold base fade/bleach more easily in the sun.

To be sure you have the silver base birds get white chicks that hatch pure white they will be double silver genes. The ones that hatch yellow are of no good. The whites that hatch grey color are also silver base. Use the male over your blues and keep the blue roosters and blue hens. The males will have one gene each of silver base and gold base(unless you are lucky your blues have the correct base) and all the hens will be blue silver base. The next four generations breed only blue to blue and keep the best laced offsprings. You may have to go back to the original blues to improve your lacing. This is why I do not do blues too many years and chicks to invest into to correct the problems that are available.

Oh you will also have to eliminate the recessive white genes in your stock at the same time.

Last edited:
To be sure you have the silver base birds get white chicks that hatch pure white they will be double silver genes. The ones that hatch yellow are of no good. The whites that hatch grey color are also silver base. Use the male over your blues and keep the blue roosters and blue hens. The males will have one gene each of silver base and gold base(unless you are lucky your blues have the correct base) and all the hens will be blue silver base. The next four generations breed only blue to blue and keep the best laced offsprings. You may have to go back to the original blues to improve your lacing. This is why I do not do blues too many years and chicks to invest into to correct the problems that are available.

Oh you will also have to eliminate the recessive white genes in your stock at the same time.
Yikes! Where can I read the genetics of all this?

I have the same problem with the bbs Cochins I am working with. I think the Cochin breeders can get away with the breeding birds that easily fade/bleach in the sun because, in general, they keep their show birds indoors all the time.

Where can I read more about breeding better, clearer colored blues?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom