Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Thanks for the feedback. I was worried at one point that they were not pure, particularly because of the barring, but I think that the breeder has not been separating colours. I can find very few breeders in Australia and even less that seem to keep the colours separate. Most places just advertise Araucana's and a few state they they also keep x colours. I wanted lavenders, but am happy with the porcelain mix too. They will make very pretty back yard layers. At least now I understand why the lavenders feathers are so scruffy and what I can do to improve them when I'm in a position to do so. : )

I am picking up 1 pure bred lavender hen and roo tomorrow. Along with 4 black splits. They are 10 months old (2 months older than our black sexlink flock) roo is 1-1/2 years old. Any suggestions on bringing them home and transition? Also breeding for the 2 pure lavender? Will I be able to tell her eggs apart from the black split eggs?
(First post delete if wrong area to post)

Black split eggs are the same as any Ameraucana. The ones that hatch from your lavender/black splits are considered pure lavender if they hatch lavender color since it is just one of three variations possible in lavenders (Lavender, Black Split and Black).
Lavenders are just like the blue breeds which come in blue, black, and splash. The lavender coloration is the "splash", the black split is the "blue" and the black is "black". Breeding in black is necessary every few generations to maintain the vibrant lavender color, otherwise is starts to yellow out.

The chart below helps a lot. Notice how the splash in the lavender (self blue) are the same. The only problem with lavender is you cannot tell blacks from black splits without breeding to test. I have a medium size group of Lavenders myself. I always keep a split rooster in the pen along with a few of my lavender boys. Best of luck with your program.

Blue/Black/splash chart
Blue x Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue x Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Blue x Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Black x Splash = 100% Blue
Black x Black = 100% Black
Splash x Splash = 100% Splash
NOTES - - Black can NEVER parent a Splash Bird, and Splash can NEVER parent a Black Bird.

Lavender Chart

Lavender (Self Blue) x Lavender (Self Blue) = 100% Lavender (Self Blue)
Lavender (Self Blue) x Black = 100% Split (Visually Black, with Lavender gene hidden)
Split x Split = 25% Lavender (Self Blue), 50% Split, 25% Black
Lavender (Self Blue) x Split = 50% Lavender (Self Blue), 50% Split

Split x Black = 50% Split, 50% Black

Can anyone critique (maybe sex?) my two young-uns?

Lost a chick last night. I put them out in the bantam coop with hopes that the weather wouldn't get much worse and knowing all the birds would keep the coop warm. 5 left now. Here's to hoping only one is a roo and the others don't die. It's a long drive to Kentucky. :(

Last edited:
Quote:
You can sex by tail feather length at that age . Females have longer tails . The front bird is probably female . Can't see enough tail on the back one to tell .

Hi all, I've been directed to this thread for some insight on sexing my 5 lavender Ameraucana chicks. I've read through page 80 so far, and picked up a tip where someone mentioned that if they have three distinct rows of "pearls" coming in, then they are a male, and only one distinct row means female.

Mine are 9 weeks old today, and I think that puts them past the age where the female tails are longer, doesn't it? If not, I'll go out and check tails. But I did try to get some close up shots of their combs and I would like to know if anybody thinks these photos tell anything useful. I feel like they all have either one row, or no rows at all. I'm pretty sure I got at least one photo of each of the five.

1st:

2nd:

3rd:

4th:

5th:

Hi all, I've been directed to this thread for some insight on sexing my 5 lavender Ameraucana chicks. I've read through page 80 so far, and picked up a tip where someone mentioned that if they have three distinct rows of "pearls" coming in, then they are a male, and only one distinct row means female. Mine are 9 weeks old today, and I think that puts them past the age where the female tails are longer, doesn't it? If not, I'll go out and check tails. But I did try to get some close up shots of their combs and I would like to know if anybody thinks these photos tell anything useful. I feel like they all have either one row, or no rows at all. I'm pretty sure I got at least one photo of each of the five. 1st: 2nd: 3rd: 4th: 5th:
Hmmm. Not really seeing the 3 pearls or reddish ness on them. Another great way to sex is by tail feathers. Hens have blocky feathers and roosters have pointy feathers. I use that method to sex mine, and judging by both combs and tail feathers, I have 2 roosters and 3 hens. :) Here are some pictures to of a rooster. See how red his comb is? (Sorry for the bad image quality, hard to take a picture of a flighty chicken without anyone else!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom