Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

yes, but the lavender gene is the same in every breed so we can help her out too....

A pic of my Black (hopefully split) Ameraucana and a split pullet in my group. Testing soon to see which he is.

Now would I want to breed that baby roo once older back with the all lavender hens?
Or should i wait and breed the first sets hens back with the english orp and then use one of those roosters to go back to the original set? So I'm thinking the 3rd generation rooster back to the first and second set?
Am I thinking correctly or am I totally off?
You can skip generations if you feel better having them more distantly related, but from what I am learning about chicken breeding, it is not necessary, as long as you only use the best specimens going forward, and don't inbreed any major faults.
And how will I know which babys are the black lavander split. Vs. The all black opringtons? Since I will have 2 black orp. hens in the pen also?
There will be no way to know without test breeding. If you want to keep track of where the splits are without having any unknown quantities, you would have to make sure you don't breed a black lav split to anything other than a visual lavender.

But if it doesn't bother you to lose track of which ones are split, and you don't mind test breeding later, than you can put black splits with other black splits or pure blacks because you can often improve size and type that way. Then breed back to lavender so you don't lose track of the gene completely.

yes, but the lavender gene is the same in every breed so we can help her out too....

A pic of my Black (hopefully split) Ameraucana and a split pullet in my group. Testing soon to see which he is.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think pullets can be split for Lavender? Only the males.

would you guys mind critiquing this boy for me? I'm just getting started with ameraucanas and was offered this gorgeous boy. I haven't picked him up yet but he's being held for me instead of going to the freezer (she likes his brother better).

would you guys mind critiquing this boy for me? I'm just getting started with ameraucanas and was offered this gorgeous boy. I haven't picked him up yet but he's being held for me instead of going to the freezer (she likes his brother better).

He looks young and therefore may change a bit more. I have some young cockerels who look like him. He doesn't have much of a beard (maybe single gene for beard?) and his tail is a bit high. I'm comparing him to the image on the Ameraucana breeder's page (http://www.ameraucana.org/) -
ameraucana%20logo%20bird.gif

Back
Top Bottom