Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

If you are genuinely interested in Lavenders, you should go to page 161 on this thread and read my summary of the whole thread.
wink.png
Thank you. I just read it. Ya'll should have that summery added to the thread starter post.

Ok, so I have a random genetics question. I have a Lavender AM too and of course he likes ALL the ladies :)

I read that blue dilutes yellow. Does this work for lavender as well? I know that blue is dominant and Lavender is recessive so Im thinking it won't, but I thought Id ask.

Im hatching a few mutts, lol and I am curious as to what they may look like.
Salmon Faverolles
Golden Neck D'uccle
Blue Maran
Splash Maran

I was curious mostly for the Salmons. Wondered if the lavender would show, or dilute at all.

Ok, so I have a random genetics question. I have a Lavender AM too and of course he likes ALL the ladies :) 

I read that blue dilutes yellow. Does this work for lavender as well? I know that blue is dominant and Lavender is recessive so Im thinking it won't, but I thought Id ask. 

Im hatching a few mutts, lol and I am curious as to what they may look like. 
Salmon Faverolles
Golden Neck D'uccle
Blue Maran
Splash Maran

I was curious mostly for the Salmons. Wondered if the lavender would show, or dilute at all. 

You have to have two copies of the lavender gene for it to dilute. Most likely you'll get mostly black chicks, since it is the dominant color. You never know when you'll get a surprise color though... :)

ETA: since you have blues and splash, you'll get not only blacks, but a hefty portion of blue chicks too...

Last edited:
When 2 copies of Lavender are present it dilutes black AND REDS. So the black becomes lavender and reds get changed to a yellow or an orange color depending on the genes. Mahogany for example would dilute to the orange color.

I have never seen blue dilute red. I have blue copper marans and that is not an issue neither is it a problem in my blue partridge.

Why is it recommended not to breed lavender to blue? I'm picking up my lavender rooster this weekend and it looks like, of my two ameraucana chicks, the black one is a cockerel and the blue one MAY be a pullet.

Quote:
It makes it nearly impossible to tell the 2 colors apart in future generations . I have done it just to see . A single copy blue and 2 copies lavender in the same bird is really hard to figure out which color it is . If you must do it destroy all the blue chicks (someone will breed them if you don't) . Plus the best blues are based on birchen and the best blacks and lavender are based on extended black .

Back
Top Bottom