Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Will these be solid or are they part of your barred project? I hate having to wait 10-14 weeks to know the gender!!

Females solid color males single barred . So the black females are split for lavender . Single barred cuckoo males split for lavender . All the lavender looking are male single barred . I like color families . So there are 4 colors of the same family here . A good way to keep genetic vigor up in a flock .

Forgot to mention that lavender cuckoo and cuckoo are semi autosexing . You can sex the double barred males from females by the size of the head spot just like Barred Rocks . Males have a larger head spot due to 2 barring genes . Very useful .

Forgot to mention that lavender cuckoo and cuckoo are semi autosexing . You can sex the double barred males from females by the size of the head spot just like Barred Rocks . Males have a larger head spot due to 2 barring genes . Very useful .

I have GSBR and Cuckoo Marans, never have been able to sex them. The Rocks are the HARDEST to sex. I have sold chicks trying to sex as pullets based on the tiniest of head spots only to all be cockerels.

Females solid color males single barred . So the black females are split for lavender . Single barred cuckoo males split for lavender . All the lavender looking are male single barred . I like color families . So there are 4 colors of the same family here . A good way to keep genetic vigor up in a flock .

Very interesting!

I saw someone reference this at some point but I can't find it now:

Where is the gold color coming from in the lavs? My rooster was great feather quality, no fretting, then all the sudden his saddle and hackle feathers turned gold-ish.

Can I breed away from this or should he be culled?

My female has no gold but she's very petite so I'm breeding her to a nice black.

This summer:

January (10 months old):

Any other comments? Thanks!!

I saw someone reference this at some point but I can't find it now:

Where is the gold color coming from in the lavs? My rooster was great feather quality, no fretting, then all the sudden his saddle and hackle feathers turned gold-ish.

Can I breed away from this or should he be culled?

My female has no gold but she's very petite so I'm breeding her to a nice black.

This summer:

January (10 months old):

Any other comments? Thanks!!

Sun damage/sunburn . Lavender males are prone to this .

Sun damage/sunburn . Lavender males are prone to this .
Yes, Jerry is correct most lavenders are missing a specific diluting gene that needs to be added to them. I have the same issue till I figure out what ameraucana color has it. I would not recommend to outcross to a non blue egg laying bird.

Last edited:
Breed to black split lavender hens and keep the lavenders from this crossing. I would not breed him to lavender hens.
I sold the pullet in the pic because I did not want to have to guess who was black split and who was black. Al chicks hatched black are definitely splits with my current programs.
You will see a much brighter "lavender" and the yellow straw should go away. I have a black split rooster in both my ameraucana and my orpington groups for this reason.

Breed to black split lavender hens and keep the lavenders from this crossing. I would not breed him to lavender hens.
I sold the pullet in the pic because I did not want to have to guess who was black split and who was black. Al chicks hatched black are definitely splits with my current programs.
You will see a much brighter "lavender" and the yellow straw should go away. I have a black split rooster in both my ameraucana and my orpington groups for this reason.

I don't completely agree with this. My cock bird from 2013 definitely has the sun burn/bleaching, but only some of the male offspring I kept are showing it. None of my hens or pullets get the same coloring. I would just be selective in the birds you keep if you continue to breed to lav. At some point, crossing in black is good for size and feather quality (as many have already said), but just because of the color change - that wouldn't keep me from breeding to my lavs if he is nice in every other way.

The hens generally will never show any sun bleaching. Check with an OE Game bantam breeder they have been breeding then much longer than any or most breeds and never heard them say they have to keep going back to black. Going back to black is to give better feathering and type to the Ameraucana and basically that is the only reason to do such. Black Ameraucanas are gold base. Lavender Ameraucanas should be silver base to have good coloring or they would show up that real dark grey color from using blacks to them. The males that show sun bleaching are missing an inhibitor gene. A male that has one silver gene and one gold gene will show the bleaching of the sun effect also.

Back
Top Bottom