Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Thanks so much guys! I was so disapointed to see the gold, but I was planning to breed him to my black hen anyway as my only lav hen is soo tiny and she has very light blue eggs. The black hen's eggs are so dark and beautiful.

I have hatched some chicks from my lav pair and for the most part they are all very petite so I think I'll stick to the black cross. My blacks are from P. smith.

If I get any larger lav chicks in the meantime I'll test those out for quality.

Thanks again!!!

The hens generally will never show any sun bleaching.  Check with an OE Game bantam breeder they have been breeding then much longer than any or most breeds and never heard them say they have to keep going back to black.  Going back to black is to give better feathering and type to the Ameraucana and basically that is the only reason to do such.  Black Ameraucanas are gold base.  Lavender Ameraucanas should be silver base to have good coloring or they would show up that real dark grey color from using blacks to them.  The males that show sun bleaching are missing an inhibitor gene.  A male that has one silver gene and one gold gene will show the bleaching of the sun effect also.

If blacks are gold based, how did you add silver to your lavs originally?

As I understand it, you could cross with other lines of lavs to breed away from gold but then you would need to do this every time you decided to cross with black again?

Is that correct?

If blacks are gold based, how did you add silver to your lavs originally?

As I understand it, you could cross with other lines of lavs to breed away from gold but then you would need to do this every time you decided to cross with black again?

Is that correct?
I used a black male over two silver hens because I only had a pair of blacks and two silver hens. The silver male was culled because he had gold leakage on his wings.
Now the males carried both gold and silver from that in the next generation.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a LF lavender cock they are willing to sell? I would like to find one near me in Central/northern VA as to avoid the hassle of shipping. I also travel frequently to Williamsburg VA and Hershey PA so I could pick up near those areas. Thank you!

Good afternoon!
I am new to this thread, and read the first 50 posts, then skipped forward for now. I have a lavender rooster that I purchased at ten weeks of age in August 2013. I never intended to breed for egg hatching. I brought him in as I had hawk issues, and my original rooster was more intent on attacking us, than protecting the flock. I chose him because I thought his color unique, and gorgeous. The previous owner had two to choose from. She wanted to keep one to breed from, so I offered to take this guy. He has a straight comb. I am regretting this decision now, but it was right at the time. His personality outweighs any flaws he has. I will get pics soon.

My question is, what are the color possibilities if I hatch eggs from a cross with black Australorps, White Rocks, or my lav/light tan EE? I also have a pullet started that may be closer to lavender. Also if I breed him to straight comb breeds will the results be brown eggs, straight comb, or is there a chance of pea comb, and or green eggs?

I am not looking to show as my flock is far too mixed, and as large as I can care for. But it might be fun to try.

I have no info on his genetics, I do not know where the previous owner got him.

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas you may have.

Good afternoon!
I am new to this thread, and read the first 50 posts, then skipped forward for now. I have a lavender rooster that I purchased at ten weeks of age in August 2013. I never intended to breed for egg hatching. I brought him in as I had hawk issues, and my original rooster was more intent on attacking us, than protecting the flock. I chose him because I thought his color unique, and gorgeous. The previous owner had two to choose from. She wanted to keep one to breed from, so I offered to take this guy. He has a straight comb. I am regretting this decision now, but it was right at the time. His personality outweighs any flaws he has. I will get pics soon.

My question is, what are the color possibilities if I hatch eggs from a cross with black Australorps, White Rocks, or my lav/light tan EE? I also have a pullet started that may be closer to lavender. Also if I breed him to straight comb breeds will the results be brown eggs, straight comb, or is there a chance of pea comb, and or green eggs?

I am not looking to show as my flock is far too mixed, and as large as I can care for. But it might be fun to try.

Lavender base is black, so you will get almost all black chicks.

I should also say, some of mine feathered in with gold leakage. Or at least one male chick that I kept did. All chicks hatched black (I have a BCM, SS, and greyish EE in with my older Lav cock).

Last edited:
Good afternoon!

If he has a straight comb, it's not likely that any of the pullets from him will lay colored eggs, unless he is bred to a pea comb hen....

Last lavender Ameraucana at 19 weeks.

Hi lavender breeders!

I posted a picture of my Lav chicks before. One died shortly after that...of what, I don't know. A second one died a couple of weeks ago. Symptoms included the twisted neck and weakness. I fought for two weeks to keep her alive, but she just kept declining until I put her out of her misery. It really broke my heart...she was so sweet natured, and she and my last Lav were so attached: they would coo at one another like doves. None of my other birds have had any sign of illness, thank goodness. I think I recall reading that female lavender Ameraucanas tend to be pretty susceptible to disease. I am thinking that may be the case with mine, at least, because I am beginning to think my last Lav is a cockerel.

The comb is just beginning to grow, but (he?) was always significantly larger than the one that just died, who was only 4 days younger.

If he is a cockerel, he is actually very good natured. He is not mean, does not attack anyone for the heck of it, but he is starting to become a little more standoffish with me. He used to run over to be picked up, but now he comes over slowly, and does not want to be handled. He will fly up and sit on my shoulder when I go sit with them.

So, do you experts think is a male? Let me know if you need a better picture of any parts...
Do you see any flaws in him/her? (The spots on his chest are not from his feathers...dirt probably...).

If he is a he, and if he gets noisy, he will have to be rehomed. He is such a good natured bird, I would hate to cull him. Personally, I think personality is as important as meeting breed standards.

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom