Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

When they hatch, they should have beards (see pic to left on my profile - that chick is about 1-2 weeks old). As far as gender, I have had no luck! Some people say by number of rows in comb +/- getting tail feathers in more quickly..

I'm not seeing beards
1f614.png

Caitlin , I had a friend tel me how to check gender , but I still don't know if it works....They said when chicks are a day or two old, you can spread their wing feathers ...On some you will see a single layer of feathers which are suppose to be roos , and if they have a double row of feathers , they are suppose to be pullets...You may want to try this.....

Caitlin , I had a friend tel me how to check gender , but I still don't know if it works....They said when chicks are a day or two old, you can spread their wing feathers ...On some you will see a single layer of feathers which are suppose to be roos , and if they have a double row of feathers , they are suppose to be pullets...You may want to try this.....

Feather sexing will only work if you breed for that. You can't randomly breed and sex by feathers.

If you are using a Lav AM rooster then yes on sex links . Males will have a white head spot . Pullets will be black . Barred rock crosses will be green eggers . More on the light olive end of color . Accuracy should be 100% . These are pure Ameraucana sex links . Males on the left .Mothers were barred/cuckoo split for lavender . Father black AM split for lavender . Rhode Island red and Am will not make a sex link . In theory yes if you use silver . Results may be hard to sex depending on which way you do the cross
Thanks so much!! I knew I had seen your crosses before I just couldn't find them. Quick question. Looks like my black AM rooster is starting to mate now. If he breeds the barred rocks can I still sex the chicks? Or is it only lav color that allows sex linked to show up? Can you explain how the color genetics work here or point me in the direction of reading material about this? Also how are they be pure AMs if they are I think an eigth barred rock in this generation? Will you not get random combs etc? I'm very very new to chicken genetics so please bear with me as I learn. Thanks bunches!!!!

Last edited:
So I decided to stop hoarding my lavs that I don't need for breeding and sold this girl yesterday. I keep looking at this pic and thinking she's going to be really nice and wishing I had kept her.

3 months old what do you guys think? What can you tell about breed conformation etc at this age? I'm trying to learn.

For those trying to sex by comb here are some good photos I got:

Her comb

and a Roos same age and his roo tail with saddle feathers coming in:

Thanks so much!! I knew I had seen your crosses before I just couldn't find them.

Quick question. Looks like my black AM rooster is starting to mate now. If he breeds the barred rocks can I still sex the chicks? Or is it only lav color that allows sex linked to show up?

Can you explain how the color genetics work here or point me in the direction of reading material about this?

Also how are they be pure AMs if they are I think an eigth barred rock in this generation? Will you not get random combs etc? I'm very very new to chicken genetics so please bear with me as I learn.

Thanks bunches!!!!

In this case it is the barring gene that is sex linked . A barred hen can only have 1 barring gene that she can only pass to her sons . This causes the white head spot on the male chicks . I call them purebred when they breed true . Breeding back to Ameraucana each generation and keeping barred birds for breeding . This gets rid of the unwanted traits .https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

Th
In this case it is the barring gene that is sex linked . A barred hen can only have 1 barring gene that she can only pass to her sons . This causes the white head spot on the male chicks . I call them purebred when they breed true . Breeding back to Ameraucana each generation and keeping  barred birds for breeding . This gets rid of the unwanted traits .https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

Thanks again! Off to read that article. :)

Back
Top Bottom