Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

So I have an anomaly I am hoping someone might be able to shed some light on... I got a Lav cock from @DMRippy that she had got from @Shaffer and he has been known to throw recessive whites when bred to another carrying it as well... all good, I got him with full disclosure and am happy with him... I've set him up with 2 of my own Lav hens and a black split I hatched from @jerryse eggs... love her, she is gorgeous...

I have absolutely no complaints about the birds in any way, just curious about what I just hatched, lol... am hoping maybe someone has seen this and knows what it is... I know crossing lines can also make odd things pop up, so maybe it's just that, I dun
Anyways, the Lav hens chicks all hatched out typical Lavender and beautiful... from the split hen I hatched some gorgeous chicks, Lavenders, a couple black splits, a single recessive white, and an anomaly...

And now this... I thought it looked blue at first, but it's not... it has a very smoky look to it and I am completely baffled... I have no issues with what I am hatching, just want to know what I am hatching, lol...

I'd really like some input if anyone has any, please???
Keep us posted as it grows feathers in . I have seen similar chicks but that trait is not recessive . So I am curious to see the end results .

BYC doesn't like us to direct you to another forum where I believe you would find at least part of your answer, so I'll give my 2 cents. I believe it is recessive white with modifiers and will mature mostly white with perhaps some gray especially on it's head. Typical day-old recessive white looks like this... These are some I had that look very much like what you have...
Thank you for responding, John... your input is always appreciated... and I am working on getting into said forum and the other as well, lol... Those are patterned very similar to mine, thank you for showing them to me... it will be interesting to see how this one turns out... did you work with those at all? Am just curious if they bred true or not...

Keep us posted as it grows feathers in . I have seen similar chicks but that trait is not recessive . So I am curious to see the end results .

Really glad you responded, Jerry, thank you... I was leaning more towards wondering if it might have been something you had seen in your lines since I talked to Donna and she said she hadn't seen anything like it from the cock... or that it was something different from breeding those 2 together...

So what you saw wasn't recessive? Could it be that it would be visible in the hen but the black masks it? I do remember she hatched out solid black, no yellow down at all, and *I think* she had a hint of chocolate tinting around her face? No idea if that is connected to this at all or not... she has definitely turned out to be one of my favorites...

I was amazed a recessive white hatched out as it was, lol... this just really caught my curiosity... I will definitely update as it feathers out and how it finishes up... and if I get any more as well... :)

Thank you for responding, John... your input is always appreciated... and I am working on getting into said forum and the other as well, lol...

Those are patterned very similar to mine, thank you for showing them to me... it will be interesting to see how this one turns out... did you work with those at all? Am just curious if they bred true or not...
Those came from my LF blacks last year and although I didn't rear many, as I mentioned they matured white with some gray...not a nice clean white.

I have a trio of Lav AM that I wanted to hatch some chicks out of and then free range with my other chickens for the summer. They have been together for at least 2 months and all eggs collected are infertile. Fertility is checked by looking for bullseye or putting eggs in my bator. Chickens are just under a year old. All chicken's back ends have been trimmed. I have witnessed the cockerel mounting Pullets on a RARE occasion. He does crow and cluck to his ladies when he finds food. I would really like to get some chicks out of them this summer but I'm getting tired of keeping them separated.
Do Lav AM just mature slowly? I am open for any and all suggestions. Thanks. And if anyone has a Lav AM roo that is in middle TN that they need to rehome. I might be interested.
1f61c.png

I have a trio of Lav AM that I wanted to hatch some chicks out of and then free range with my other chickens for the summer. They have been together for at least 2 months and all eggs collected are infertile. Fertility is checked by looking for bullseye or putting eggs in my bator. Chickens are just under a year old. All chicken's back ends have been trimmed. I have witnessed the cockerel mounting Pullets on a RARE occasion. He does crow and cluck to his ladies when he finds food. I would really like to get some chicks out of them this summer but I'm getting tired of keeping them separated.
Do Lav AM just mature slowly? I am open for any and all suggestions. Thanks. And if anyone has a Lav AM roo that is in middle TN that they need to rehome. I might be interested.
1f61c.png

Personally, I haven't experienced slow maturing in Lavs... nor fertility issues... every single egg has been infertile?? Not even a bloodring? Sounds like the roo is either missing his mark completely or he might be infertile, sorry...

I don't currently have any extra cockerels but should in next couple months, have several lines growing out now... even a handful from Fowl Stuff since my friend ended up with too many chicks after she ordered an assortment, lol...

Personally, I haven't experienced slow maturing in Lavs... nor fertility issues... every single egg has been infertile?? Not even a bloodring? Sounds like the roo is either missing his mark completely or he might be infertile, sorry...

I don't currently have any extra cockerels but should in next couple months, have several lines growing out now... even a handful from Fowl Stuff since my friend ended up with too many chicks after she ordered an assortment, lol...

Yes every one is clear. I was thinking maybe he was just missing his mark so I trimmed them to help him along. Ha. But I too am worried he is infertile!
1f621.png

I guess let me know when you got a cockerel you don't want. I'm going to keep trying with these I guess. Thanks for your input!!

Yes every one is clear. I was thinking maybe he was just missing his mark so I trimmed them to help him along. Ha. But I too am worried he is infertile!
1f621.png

I guess let me know when you got a cockerel you don't want. I'm going to keep trying with these I guess. Thanks for your input!!

That just sucks... I have no doubt I'll have plenty of cockerels soon, so I will give you a holler when I do... sorry for your issues... :/

Back
Top Bottom