Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

How so?  It is just a quote describing lavender from that writer's perspective.

"Today we know that both the phenotype and genotype of lavender and self blue are different. Blue is created when an otherwise black bird has one copy of the dominant blue (Bl) gene."

This part... It sounds like what is being said is that there are 3 different colors here...

I know blue (Bl) is difterent, I just wasn't understanding if there is 2 absolutely different colors, one lavender and one self blue??

There are only two different forms of blue.

There is andalusian blue which is a dominant gene that dilutes black to blue and can also dilute to splash if there are two copies of it.

And, there is self blue which is the recessive lavender gene that dilutes black when there are two copies of the gene.

People have tried to show poorly laced/edged andalusian blue birds as the self blue variety, but this is not correct and they are bucking the system.

This type of color issue will also come up if and when/ever chocolate is accepted because of the dun gene.

These genes apply to all chickens, not just ameraucanas.

Last edited:
There are only two different forms of blue. 

There is andalusian blue which is a dominant gene that dilutes black to blue and can also dilute to splash if there are two copies of it. 

And, there is self blue which is the recessive lavender gene that dilutes black when there are two copies of the gene.

People have tried to show poorly laced/edged andalusian blue birds as the self blue variety, but this is not correct and they are bucking the system.

This type of color issue will also come up if and when/ever chocolate is accepted because of the dun gene.

These genes apply to all chickens, not just ameraucanas.

This was my understanding as well, and I am familiar with the chocolate vs. dun differences...

It was sounding like what was being said was that the color called self blue was a completely different one from the color called lavender... I have Self Blue OEGB's as well and to me they look like the same color, so that is why I was confused...

I know how the US uses different names than the UK, I run into it a lot with my Call duck colors... plus they use Self Blue in ducks to describe a blue duck free of a white bib, pied or any other white or differnt color of markings... so that took me a bit to understand the color naming differences between species as well...

I just wanted to make sure I was understanding it properly...

"Today we know that both the phenotype and genotype of lavender and self blue are different. Blue is created when an otherwise black bird has one copy of the dominant blue (Bl) gene."

This part... It sounds like what is being said is that there are 3 different colors here...

I know blue (Bl) is difterent, I just wasn't understanding if there is 2 absolutely different colors, one lavender and one self blue??
Yes and no.
Yes...when I wrote that I was only considering two fairly similar colors (lavender & blue) created by entirely different genes.
No...we now know there may be at least one more similar gray phenotype that is closer to blue in color, but breeds true like lavender. It is the Anyi Tile-like Gray Chicken in China

It was sounding like what was being said was that the color called self blue was a completely different one from the color called lavender...
Yes, they are not just different genetically, but also phenotypically. If you put a lavender chicken next to a "genetically" self blue chicken you can see the difference in color.

Yes, they are not just different genetically, but also phenotypically.  If you put a lavender chicken next to a "genetically" self blue chicken you can see the difference in color.

Do you have any pictures that show those differences? Or can you explain them?

I am really not trying to be difficult, I am seriously just trying to understand... nor am I trying to stir up any arguments...

QUOTE: "In contrast to the blue, the colour lavender had no difference in shade between certain body parts. The aim is to achieve an even shade of silver gray all over the body and it is significantly lighter than blue."

Seems like such a clear & simple description. Wish APA/ABA would adopt this criteria for "Lavender". Self Blue & Lavender ARE different. I think the standards should reflect that difference with separate categories. JMHO
1f61c.png
The APA and ABA consider Self Blue and Lavender the same color. No one has proven that they are different. Neither organization uses genetic make up to determine color. It is all based on how the chicken looks. You will not find genetic designations in either Standard.

Back
Top Bottom