Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

pips&peeps

Since this question was ignored would you be willing to advise here, Jean? Please? I'd also like to know what you think about it as well since I've heard conflicting advice previously... thank you...
smile.png

I have never really studied the birds feather quality in depth and had a chance to compare lav to lav breeding as compared to split to lav breeding. I have continued to breed for the best body type first and that included breeding out to blacks in the beginning. So now I keep both splits and lavs in the same breeding pen. I think the answer to the feather issue is to keep breeding for the best type and best feather quality and eventually the tie in the genetics that brings the poor feather quality will eventually be broken.

I imagine I will put black back into the pen in the future, but for now I am leaving my pens the way they are. I had a black hen that went reserve of show a few years ago that was split to lavender.

I have asked old English breeders about the feather quality on the lavs and the issue with striping in the hackles on wheatens and they have told me it just takes time and lots of breeding only the best birds to get rid of these nuisance genes.

To combat feather issues with this variety, I have also made sure I do not overcrowd the grow out pen.

I have never really studied the birds feather quality in depth and had a chance to compare lav to lav breeding as compared to split to lav breeding.  I have continued to breed for the best body type first and that included breeding out to blacks in the beginning.  So now I keep both splits and lavs in the same breeding pen.  I think the answer to the feather issue is to keep breeding for the best type and best feather quality and eventually the tie in the genetics that brings the poor feather quality will eventually be broken. 

I imagine I will put black back into the pen in the future, but for now I am leaving my pens the way they are.  I had a black hen that went reserve of show a few years ago that was split to lavender.

I have asked old English breeders about the feather quality on the lavs and the issue with striping in the hackles on wheatens and they have told me it just takes time and lots of breeding only the best birds to get rid of these nuisance genes.

To combat feather issues with this variety, I have also made sure I do not overcrowd the grow out pen.

Thank you for that, Jean... now please excuse me while I go thump my head for being a bit dense... :th

For some reason I never thought to compare them with my OEGB's, lol... they're pure to color for many generations... overall their feather quality is quite nice, but I did notice that they are prone to much easier and lasting feather damage than other colors... their pen flooded out last year and the mud wreaked havoc on their feathers, now that they're molting they're looking back to their proper selves...

As for the crowding, yep, I can see how that can be a big issue beyond the normal overcrowding problems... I have 2 OEGB pullets right now that are with a few Silkie and Silkie cross growouts... they free range the yard during the day and have plenty of space at night in their pen... 1 looks very pretty and neat but the other looks ragged and tattered... I noticed the ragged looking one likes to go underneath the others at night to sleep so that's where I figured her feather damages were from...

Heh, little things just keep adding up that makes sense... :)

Thank you for that, Jean... now please excuse me while I go thump my head for being a bit dense...
th.gif

For some reason I never thought to compare them with my OEGB's, lol... they're pure to color for many generations... overall their feather quality is quite nice, but I did notice that they are prone to much easier and lasting feather damage than other colors... their pen flooded out last year and the mud wreaked havoc on their feathers, now that they're molting they're looking back to their proper selves...

As for the crowding, yep, I can see how that can be a big issue beyond the normal overcrowding problems... I have 2 OEGB pullets right now that are with a few Silkie and Silkie cross growouts... they free range the yard during the day and have plenty of space at night in their pen... 1 looks very pretty and neat but the other looks ragged and tattered... I noticed the ragged looking one likes to go underneath the others at night to sleep so that's where I figured her feather damages were from...

Heh, little things just keep adding up that makes sense...
smile.png

this forum may help you - http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=115364#Post115364

http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=112435#Post112435

there are also many other threads that discuss Lavender color and feather quality genetics but these were two I found quickly to post

Lots of folks who have in depth understanding of genetics

I got these two a few months back. They are so gentle! What do you think of them? What is the pattern color in the pullet called? They 4 months old.

What do you think about the pattern on these? How is the feather quality? I need lav to lav. Should i get another color to make the feathers better?

[/IMG][/IMG]

Question, i have 18 6 wk old Lav Am that i bought from a reputable breeder. None of my 18 seem to have good beard and muffs. Does this grow in later or get fuller..or what they have they have.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom