Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Very excited!! Only 12-14 days left till my Lavendars start to hatch!! I received 13 shipped and as of today I have 4 clearly viable and moving but air cells are a bit big. I will be upping the humidity. Today a lady hand delivered 4 Lavendar and 14 BBS. I can't wait for them to all hatch.

Just joined and wanted to say HI to everyone....and share a few pics of my 4 pullets and cockerel. And a cute pic with a Polish photo bombing lol.

Really looking forward to seeing their offspring next year, along with our BBS Ameraucana kids.

I have a question for the more experienced breeders on this thread. What happens if you inbreed Lavenders? I have 3 Lavender Amerucana roosters I haven't sold. Can they cause deformations in the chick's if they mate with their mothers?

How do i keep good geans in my Lavenders? I was told to get a black Amerucana rooster to make better color and feather quality. Is that true? I get confused by the chart because i don't know what a splash, wheaten Amerucana even looks like.

Lavenders to me are the most gorgeous birds. I sell the chick's to pay for the feed and take my family out to dinner once a month. More importantly, i want to help get the breed out there and not deliver a bad product to customers making the breed look bad. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

I have a question for the more experienced breeders on this thread. What happens if you inbreed Lavenders? I have 3 Lavender Amerucana roosters I haven't sold. Can they cause deformations in the chick's if they mate with their mothers?

How do i keep good geans in my Lavenders? I was told to get a black Amerucana rooster to make better color and feather quality. Is that true? I get confused by the chart because i don't know what a splash, wheaten Amerucana even looks like.

Lavenders to me are the most gorgeous birds. I sell the chick's to pay for the feed and take my family out to dinner once a month. More importantly, i want to help get the breed out there and not deliver a bad product to customers making the breed look bad. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Linebreeding, mating an offspring back to a parent, is acceptable as 50% of their genes are different from each other... what you want to avoid is mating a brother and a sister, as they share 100% of the same genes... but having 3 cocks is not generally a good idea unless you have a huge flock of hens... and even then that's more of propagating than breeding... select the best and cull the rest... sell, give away or eat them... if you have the space and capabilities, you can keep a bachelor pen but not all can feasibly do that... pick out your best and breed forward... that also means you don't keep all the pullets just because they are pullets... pare them down to the best and continue on...

Breeding lavender to lavender is usually what gives the best color... you breed good quality black in to improve the feather quality and type if needed... lavender is prone to fretting, frayed feathers, and a good black can help correct that... the first cross from black and lavender will visually look black, but they will all carry 1 copy of lavender... breed the black splits back to lavender and you'll get approx 50/50 lavenders and black splits... keep track of your splits and try to avoid breeding a split to a split as there isn't a way to tell which blacks are split and which aren't unless you test mate each one back to lavender...

This chart is just for lavender to black mating, hope it helps...

Just my 2 cents, FWIW...

Back
Top Bottom