Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Why is it that the males always seem to have the leakage? I got lucky, 11 chicks from Once In A Blue Moon...6 hens, 5 roos...only 2 are showing leakage. They are true beauties!!!

Nice! She has great stock!

Males are the ones that SHOW leakage... pullets can carry it but unless it's a ton they won't show it...

If I remember correctly, it's due to being a recessive of black and black covers other color really well... or it could be from crossing gold base and silver based lines...

But this is just thinking out loud, lol... self blue/lavender is still a project for while longer... look into OEGB self blue lines... a lot of those show much cleaner color due to being bred a lot longer...

Anything worthwhile takes a lot of time to get right... :)

Yay! I'm glad that you are enjoying them @cdonze43. Thanks for the update!

I agree with @RavenFallen. The lavender color is still considered to be a project color, so unfortunately there is still "work to be done," but fortunately, we can be a part of the effort in getting them there.
1f60a.png

In every breed, and in every flock, there is always something that can be "improved upon." I'll borrow a quote that Paul said to me a few weeks ago, "There are no perfect birds here." If all birds were perfect and cookie cutter, our work as breeders would be done. What is the fun in that?
1f600.png

I have been studying the leakage issue in lavender/self blue males, and it seems to be stemming from the autosomal red gene, and/or from using blacks based on gold. It is hard to find good quality blacks that are silver based, because the best blacks (for a black breeding program) are gold based.

I was able to locate a great quality black cockerel that is based on silver and am excited about using him in my breeding pens in the Spring. For 2017, I am going to have 4 pens set up for this color variety. Two lavender x lavender pens, a lavender x split pen, and another pen with the silver based black cock over lavender hens to work on creating additional splits for 2018.

Does anyone else have a hard time NOT hatching eggs from your favorite roo? I told myself I was done hatching for the season, but the lavender hens that are with my favorite lavender roo laid a little longer despite daylight hours dwindling, so I have just kept setting their eggs in small quantities. I'll grabbed some photos of a few that hatched last week later today to keep this thread moving. At this rate I am going to be raising chicks in my basement this winter.
1f602.png

Last edited:
I went out to the barn to take care of a few chores, and this lavender Ameraucana was sitting quietly on her perch. I had to grab a quick photo.
2764.png
Most of the girls are molting right now, but she has just about finished up.

Congrats on your new chick. :) It's a little early to make any assessments/critiques on her/him, but I hope s/he turns into a beautiful bird for you! If s/he is definitely a lavender Ameraucana, you could breed him/her with other lavender Ameraucanas to create 100% lavender offspring, or you could mate him/her with a black Ameraucana to create what is termed "blacks split to lavender" to improve feather quality and type if it is needed. I'll attach a breeding chart just in case you don't have one on hand. Lavenders can be notoriously hard to sex. Sometimes it can take 8-10 weeks before you know with certainty what they are. Just out of curiosity, what color is his/her shanks and feet turning thus far? I couldn't tell from the photos. Best wishes!

Here's some better pics.

Thanks for the update. I can't believe how fast they are growing! Love their muffs/beards.
Lyndsay, I was wondering if you would mind taking pics of chicks at different developmental stages for pullet and cockerel to better help sexing chicks? Especially so I can learn as mine grow in the spring.

Sure! Most of my birds for next season are already fully grown, but I hatched a few last week and have a few more set to hatch within the next two weeks. I'll try my best to remember to document them every 1-2 weeks.

Sure! Most of my birds for next season are already fully grown, but I hatched a few last week and have a few more set to hatch within the next two weeks. I'll try my best to remember to document them every 1-2 weeks.
Awesome! I expect nothing so each pic will be a gift. I find people always ask pullet or cockerel so many people may find this helpful to sex this breed. And I consider you the expert ;)

Back
Top Bottom