Lavender Ameraucanas?

StarChicken

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 14, 2010
Benton, Arkansas
I went to the Ameraucana.org site and looked at the different colors and Lavender wasn't listed.

Did my daughter get taken when she bought Lavendar Ameraucana eggs? I think she only bought four or six eggs; all but one hen (blue) and one roo (two tone blue/black and gorgeous).

We've been saving eggs up from the one pair and so far, have six "teenagers" almost six weeks old and two three week olds. Along with those, four hatched today and we may get four more tomorrow.

We've gotten some interesting colors, with one very black one, several blues and some off whites, but nothing I would call lavender!

So, I'm back to my original question . . . are there really Lavender Ameraucanas? Every egg we've gotten from our hen is a very pretty blue.

I am not an Ameraucana breeder/expert, but yes, they do exist. They may not be "officially" listed or recognized in the show poultry arena.

To my best understanding, lavender anything (Ameraucana, Orpington, etc.) describes a black chicken that has two copies of the "lavender" gene, which is a diluting gene that dilutes both black and red to light grey/lavender and light tan. It's also the gene that leads to "porcelain" for other breeds (terminology-wise).

I used to have a Lavender Ameraucana rooster that was an "extra" in a chick shipment (though not a perfect specimen, he had a lot of red leakage, so he had some other stuff in his background). Alas, he got eaten by a fox - but I was able to hatch some of his babies. Here's one of his baby pics. He was very sweet.

GoodwinSweet6wks.JPG

Oh, and by your description, it sounds more like she got blue/black/splash (BBS) ones. I have Copper Marans in blue, black and splash. They are nothing like lavender, really. So if you got black, "blue" (grey) and off white with black flecks, and they said lavender, then yes, this is wrong... (Unless I misunderstand.)

- Ant Farm

Oh! How pretty! Yes, that would be my idea of lavender, for sure.

Thank you for the information . . so far, we have every color in the book! shades of blue, black, off white, you name it! But so far, nothing that looks like the one you're holding.

If you search around for photos of black, blue and splash (Ameraucana, Marans, whatever), you may see and be able to match what you have. I used to have three Blue Copper Marans hens - now have two (lost the third when I lost the rooster). One was so dark it was almost black, and the other two were lighter. Their current rooster is splash. Here are some pics at age 16 weeks:

Lavender Ameraucana with a Blue Copper Marans pullet in back on the table:
RobertE16wks2.JPG

Splash copper marans cockerel (Monkey), with a blue cockerel walking out of frame:
ChunkyMonkey16wks1.JPG

Black copper marans
Raven16wks1.JPG

I've got 2 lavender chicks 2 weeks old in the inside pen right now. They exist. I got them locally from a hatchery here in AZ. They're not a recognized color right now, but they're definitely marketed and sold as such.

I have a blue Marans and a lavender Ameraucana and the colors are quite different, with the Ameraucana being more silvery gray and the Marans being a more obvious bluish gray. I will try to get a pic of them side by side if possible and post back this evening.

Back
Top Bottom