Lavender cuckoo roo over chocolate hen

cutecowgirl084

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2016
Inland empire
What would I get by putting a lavender cuckoo Orpington roo over a solid chocolate Orpington hen

I've read a bunch here as well as other websites after googling it.
I think I understand :
Barred roo/solid hen will give
Barred males, barred females, and solid males females. Correct? Or no?
What would the base color of all these birds be would they be barred chocolates MF and solid chocolates MF split to lavender? Would the barred chocolates also be split to lavender? Man I hope I'm making sense. Any help would be great! Thanks

Last edited:
Anyone able to answer my questions? I would really appreciate it
1f600.png
1f600.png

First, is the chocolate colour a result of dun or of choc?
Second, assuming the male has two copies of barring, all offspring will be barred.
Third, offspring of a lavender X non-lavender are split to lav.

Assuming the rooster has two copies of the barring gene, and the hen really is chocolate, your cross would yield black barred pullets split for lavender (one copy of the lavender gene) and black barred cockerels with one copy of the barring gene, and split for chocolate and lavender (one copy of the chocolate and one copy of the lavender gene).

Since it's sex linked to the male chromosome, the chocolate gene would "disappear" from your F1 hens. But one copy would be in the cockerels, just not visible, since you need 2 copies of the chocolate gene to express the colour. You also need 2 copies of the lavender gene to see it, so none of the chicks would look lavender.

If you bred one of the F1 cockerels back to his chocolate mother, you would get barred chocolate pullets and cockerels in the F2 generation, as well as solid chocolate hens and cockerels, black pullets and cockerels, black barred pullets and cockerels. Most of the chicks would be split for lavender, some for chocolate.

Back
Top Bottom