Lavender Genetics and Brahmas

Madd14

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2020
I ordered Lavender Brahma chicks who have now grown out into pullets, a dog got the only one who turned out to be a cockerel. So I've decided to play around. What would be a good breed/color roo to put with the 2 lavender ladies? I was contemplating cochin or jersey giant....but not sure which color I should pair with lavender. I'll post pics of the ladies as soon as I can get out to the coop.

I ordered Lavender Brahma chicks who have now grown out into pullets, a dog got the only one who turned out to be a cockerel. So I've decided to play around. What would be a good breed/color roo to put with the 2 lavender ladies? I was contemplating cochin or jersey giant....but not sure which color I should pair with lavender. I'll post pics of the ladies as soon as I can get out to the coop.
20201204_10372515.jpg

I would probably go with a black Cochin, so you get lavender mix then breed back to get a lavender cockerel, then have lavender chicks. But I might be biased as a lot of my flock is Brahma x Cochin, and have the sweetest cuddliest personalities.

I'd say a blue or black brahma, because if you breed a half blue (or black) and half lavender bird BACK to either a half and half or a lavender, you'll get half the chicks with lavender and half black or blue. First generation bred to a black or blue rooster will be all be blue or black though. Lavender would reappear is subsequent generations.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

Edited to add: I say blue or black because then you can have a little color variety in your flock. I see nothing wrong with sticking to lavender though! It's a beautiful and rare feather color.

I'd say a blue or black brahma, because if you breed a half blue (or black) and half lavender bird BACK to either a half and half or a lavender, you'll get half the chicks with lavender and half black or blue. First generation bred to a black or blue rooster will be all be blue or black though. Lavender would reappear is subsequent generations.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong!
I would agree black brahma is probably the way to go, especially if you want pure breeds....... butttttt cochin x brahmas are so sweet :love

I would probably go with a black Cochin, so you get lavender mix then breed back to get a lavender cockerel, then have lavender chicks. But I might be biased as a lot of my flock is Brahma x Cochin, and have the sweetest cuddliest personalities.
That is one of the big reasons I was contemplating cochins! :)

Id just get a dark brahma rooster. Theyre common and easier to find then any of the fancier colors.
It would keep you with purebreds and after 2nd generation you could have more lavenders as well as a lavender version of the dark brahma pattern.
That would be unique and very pretty.

Agreed, stick with brahma. Each of the. Major common colors would offer something different if crossed to lavender. Dark would create a really interesting laced pattern on the hen's, light would create a lavender columbian called coronation. Lavender buff columbian would be pretty, too. Odds are your birds are one of these already, identifying which and getting a make of three same variety would make recreating more of them easier.

Back
Top Bottom