Lavender Marans roo with Splash and/or Blue Marans hens - what color(s) would I get?

Blue Eggerz

Chirping
Sep 4, 2019
West Coast, Washington State
I have a young (4 months) Lavender Marans cockerel that is quite nice. He came from a semi-local breeder of Marans (breeder states parent stock is "Lavender Marans Roo over Lavender Marans Hen"). I then bought several hatching eggs from a distant breeder - got 5 Blue Marans (parent stock is Blue Marans roo/hens) and one Splash Marans (parent stock is Blue Marans roo and Splash Marans hen).

The only color charts for Marans I could find only relate to Blue, Black or Splash results - can anyone please tell me what the results would be with Lavender Marans roo with both a Splash and Blue Marans hen? I tried the Search function here, but didn't run across anything for my specific question, so any help figuring this out would be much appreciated.

Lavender is recessive so breeds like black when bred to a non lavander bird so you would get black and blue birds split for lavendar, providing there is no Lav in the hens. If you bred the daughters back to the father you will also get lavanders and blue based lavanders. Honestly though a lot of breeders try and avoid breeding blue and lavender due to blue based lavanders but if you plan on selling just make sure potential buyers are 100% aware that their offspring are split lavender

Lavender is recessive so breeds like black when bred to a non lavander bird so you would get black and blue birds split for lavendar, providing there is no Lav in the hens. If you bred the daughters back to the father you will also get lavanders and blue based lavanders. Honestly though a lot of breeders try and avoid breeding blue and lavender due to blue based lavanders but if you plan on selling just make sure potential buyers are 100% aware that their offspring are split lavender
Ok, I understand that self blue is recessive. However, I got lost after that. Please see if I am understanding this correctly. Since lavender is recessive, I breed a lavender roo over a blue hen, both Marans…. Then I will get all blue chicks. But if one of the blue offspring is bred to a lavender, then those offspring will be half of them blue and half lavender????

Back
Top Bottom