Lavender or splash orpington chicks

The first two chicks appear Lavender and the third chick appears Splash to me. The third chick is also not as well lit in the photos though, so I could be mistaken. Don't worry about the leg color at this point. That changes a lot with Orpington chicks.
Thanks! 3rd chick down is a mix of yellow and pale ivory. The few wing feathers are ivory. Feet are orangey, but legs have a hint of willow more than slate at this point. Face appears to be shadowed with a hint of dark undertone. Kinda hard to represent in a photo as the lighting totally changes how it looks. Guess I will wait and see :)

Just wanted to update this post. At 6 weeks old, it appears maybe I have a splash cockerel. He is just starting to get some silvery tint to his wings and head, and his feet are a willow color. The two lavenders feathered out identically and much quicker than the splash cockerel, so I was hoping they are both pullets BUT one of them is bigger and has more comb than the other (no waddles).

Splash ?cockerel?
659CD8D3-D0DC-4C96-BB8B-30E22040EC72.jpeg

7337BFF2-AE15-48E7-9787-B7D50147DF57.jpeg

lavender ?pullet?
50B86086-D15D-4D34-9A0B-454FFD6C8E5A.jpeg
E237A93A-3605-49F3-B070-DD8B3D4F7146.jpeg

Lavender ?thought she was a pullet, now not so sure?
4F68AB85-7544-4739-B86F-DE827BE5A682.jpeg
E7FE3BB9-7215-443B-92A6-9F16DC0A93C7.jpeg

Last edited:
1. Cockerel; ?
2. Pullet; Lavender
3. 75% sure it's a pullet; Lavender

As to the first bird's color. Can you photograph it outside under natural light? It's not light enough to be a White Orpington. If it was I'd come kidnap him. :) I lost my male during the big snowstorm we had in Texas. He looks so even and so light, it's hard to imagine he is splash. I wonder if he could be Isabel...

1. Cockerel; ?
2. Pullet; Lavender

As to the first bird's color. Can you photograph it outside under natural light? It's not light enough to be a White Orpington. If it was I'd come kidnap him. :) I lost my male during the big snowstorm we had in Texas. He looks so even and so light, it's hard to imagine he is splash. I wonder if he could be Isabel...
Will try to get a better pic. It’s raining here today lol. He is more of an ivory rather than pure white and he has grey undertones to his head. Also a few silvery-tinted feathers in his wings!

1. Cockerel; ?
2. Pullet; Lavender

It’s cloudy today but here are pics of his head and wings taken outside.
982EE178-E9B4-4D81-8377-721DCA94AED3.jpeg
79EA7A4C-3ADA-4367-867B-D2E37F27D22F.jpeg
4195EFCC-5679-493B-902E-58CBE6DBAD40.jpeg

The comb is very pale but looks large to me. I'd guess male.

Color is uniform. He looks too light for a lav and too dark for a white. Could he be a blue or splash mixed with the lavender gene? Hopefully a member with some experience in genetics can weigh in.
Thanks! He looks different in every lighting. Definitely more silvery to the naked eye than I can portray with any photo I have taken, but yes fairly uniform without any spots. Even the comb looks very light pink in some lighting and yellow in others 🤷🏻‍♀️. Here is pic I took tonight. Same iPhone, same overhead light... Looks completely different lol.
E633ADA6-EA59-41ED-99F8-AA8FE6331C0F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom