Lavender or splash orpington chicks

smott

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Bought 3 chicks last week that are supposed to be lavender and/or splash orpingtons. I was told the two blueish ones would be splash, and the yellow one would be lavender. I'm not familiar with these colors of orpingtons, but I am wondering if I was misinformed? The two darker ones have darker areas on their beaks and legs, and their feathers appear to be coming in lavender. The yellow one has lighter beak and feet, and feathers appear very pale yellow like a buff orpington. Will attach pics below.
90059500-F04D-4EAC-8D0F-FDA7FC95DBC6.jpeg
08940A21-D092-46CE-AB97-D29A3CC65807.jpeg
9CB1FB1A-E2D0-4C12-AECF-9303BE219E8D.jpeg

Agree the two first ones look like lavender but I’m not convinced they are Orpingtons, leg color is incorrect. Third one is not a splash. They normally hatch very white and then they start to develop the splash colors later on. They are not hatched yellow. They are all super cute anyway, good luck with them!😊

Agree the two first ones look like lavender but I’m not convinced they are Orpingtons, leg color is incorrect. Third one is not a splash. They normally hatch very white and then they start to develop the splash colors later on. They are not hatched yellow. They are all super cute anyway, good luck with them!😊
Well, I wasn't really planning to breed/sell them, more like just adding beauty and variety to my flock, so I guess it really doesn't matter. BUT, I am disappointed. (I have seen many suggest that it's better to buy birds from local breeders than hatcheries, but I have been very unlucky buying from backyard breeders... so far I have got some BLRW that were all cockerels except the one that had no lacing, an "easter egger" that lays brown eggs, and an olive egger pullet that turned out to be a cockerel LOL.)
SO, What would they be if not orpingtons? I am going to attach a closer photo of the legs. They do have a lot of slate coloring on the shanks, moreso on the lavender tinted birds than the yellow one, but obviously the feet are mostly yellow. I did read somewhere that some chicks develop leg color as they mature...is that also a possibility?
122684C0-CC8E-4C4D-94E9-352777D438BE.jpeg
77EE2B77-335D-4BC0-B75A-7787123F1429.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, it is possible. My polish have slate legs as adults but were orange as chicks. Orpingtons normally have pink, white or slate legs depending on feather coloring.
😊

Yes, sorry. I was only speaking from my own experience. I am no expert.😊
I hatched some splash chicks from eggs I bought as lavender. They were all white, more silvery actually. I was convinced they were lavender as that is what I was told. Then they feathered in white, then developed the splash markings over several months.😊

Feathers on the yellow chick appear very faint ivory at this time. Feathers on the darkest chick appear solid grey, and feathers on the lighter grey chick appear a little speckled grey/white on the underside.

The first two chicks appear Lavender and the third chick appears Splash to me. The third chick is also not as well lit in the photos though, so I could be mistaken. Don't worry about the leg color at this point. That changes a lot with Orpington chicks.

Back
Top Bottom