Lavender Orpington Breeder/Hatchery Recommendation?

They are Perfect! They seemed pretty feathered out... you may try it. You are of course further south than I am... we got down to 30 last night... mine did fine. Not sure what your temps are there though. This next bunch will go straight to the broader pen in the coop, not start in the basement. We usually do 2 weeks in the basement. But'we will hit the 80 next weekend's so my coop will be comfy with it being warmer. Cant wait till next Saturday!
Your are going to have a beautiful flock! I love to mix them up!

Thank you both! We've really enjoyed this group. We love our older australorps and leghorns but the variety and personalities in this set have made them special.

With it getting down to 32 tonight, I did end up bringing them in the basement. But they will be out full time in the next few days.

Now to place an order for more orpingtons. Plus those RIBs and a cream legbar friend or 2 for that lone crested pullet (other than our olive egger's cute tiny crest that barely qualifies).

Here are a few more photos for anyone interested, including the crests I regularly get a chuckle out of. Very curious to see how the orpingtons fill out. The buff already dwarfs the other orps, which I guess is somewhat typical for hatchery stock.
20200510_005657.jpg
20200510_005751.jpg
20200510_010110.jpg
20200510_005931.jpg
20200510_010013.jpg

Quick Update:

We picked up 13 chicks from Mt Healthy almost 3 weeks ago. I waited longer than I should have to order so some breeds sold out. Ended up with lavender orps, cream legbars, and black copper marans, including orp and legbar roos.

So far I've been impressed. They're healthy and have grown fast. I don't know if it's the hatchery, not having them shipped, switching from a lamp to a warming plate for heat, or some combination but this group has developed faster than any of our past chicks. I'll be interested to see how they look once they get fully feathered and grown out.

It's possible we got 1 extra male but time will tell. The marans in the bottom left has some serious comb coming in at 3 weeks but no color yet.

Hope everyone and their chickens are well!
20200704_162508.jpg

Hi all!

We're looking add a lavender orpington roo or 2 to our flock to breed with several of our lavender hens. Not necessarily looking to show them but I'm also mindful of orpington standards.

Does anyone have experience getting this breed from a breeder/hatchery that they would share? Or any that they'd recommend?

We've used Meyer and Cackle in the past. Our girls from Meyer are nice for hatchery stock but I'm open to options. We keep a mixed flock of 20-30 hens but this will be our only roo (or 2) so I wanted to ask around.

Thanks in advance!
I have only experience with Meyer. I have Black/Lavender Split Orpingtons that are from Meyer that I got as day old chicks which were in premium shape and have been beautiful since and the picture of health also. They are beautiful birds. Good luck with your search.

I have only experience with Meyer. I have Black/Lavender Split Orpingtons that are from Meyer that I got as day old chicks which were in premium shape and have been beautiful since and the picture of health also. They are beautiful birds. Good luck with your search.

Thanks. Glad to hear your experience. We've bought from Meyer too and have been happy with them. Have 2 lavender orpingtons and a splash from there. All are nice, especially the splash.

Good to know their black splits are nice too. I actually really need a couple of them but Meyer happened to be sold out of them and lavenders. So I was looking for other options.

Got a few lavenders from Mt Healthy. We'll see how they grow out.

Our lavender's are looking REALLY good! They are the biggest of the bunch from our first round! The whole lot from Mt Healthy is looking wonderful! Here a most recent picture of them in the tunnel. The second picture is our second group. They are about 7 weeks old now. Ended up with 2 cockerels in this group... but we will see how they mature before I decide to keep or rehome. The older girls are definitely keeping them in line!

Attachments

• 20200615_192511.jpg
    20200615_192511.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 20200623_130806.jpg
    20200623_130806.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
They do look great. Nice to see that big round body type. All of them look like healthy, beautiful birds. I'm excited to see how ours grow out and really appreciate the recommendation!

Here are a few baby photos from this group. Because chicks are cute.
20200611_163433.jpg
20200611_163341.jpg
20200610_175344.jpg
20200611_163628.jpg

Thanks. Glad to hear your experience. We've bought from Meyer too and have been happy with them. Have 2 lavender orpingtons and a splash from there. All are nice, especially the splash.

Good to know their black splits are nice too. I actually really need a couple of them but Meyer happened to be sold out of them and lavenders. So I was looking for other options.

Got a few lavenders from Mt Healthy. We'll see how they grow out.
I love the idea of the TUNNEL! I have never thought about using one of those! Where does yours lead to? I see the run of course but do they get to tunnel to some place particularly special to them like the garden?! Wow that would be a hoot! And a big bribery tool! Do you leave it up all the time? We have a storm house and we were wondering how we were going to bribe all of ours to get to the storm house without having to get out a cage that is huge and just throw them all in Willy nilly. I could put meal worms in the tunnel and just catch my easiest chicken and let her stand there and eat out of the bad. That would have them all running to take over like a bunch of old ladies from the 1880’s with their corsets and their crenalins
And pantaloons. That would indeed be a sight for sore eyes. I have to go but I wish you the best with your girls. They look great. I will try to get some pics of my three without the brooder pen in the way so that you can see them good. I think they are good looking little crow imitations! 😊

I love the idea of the TUNNEL! I have never thought about using one of those! Where does yours lead to? I see the run of course but do they get to tunnel to some place particularly special to them like the garden?! Wow that would be a hoot! And a big bribery tool! Do you leave it up all the time? We have a storm house and we were wondering how we were going to bribe all of ours to get to the storm house without having to get out a cage that is huge and just throw them all in Willy nilly. I could put meal worms in the tunnel and just catch my easiest chicken and let her stand there and eat out of the bad. That would have them all running to take over like a bunch of old ladies from the 1880’s with their corsets and their crenalins
And pantaloons. That would indeed be a sight for sore eyes. I have to go but I wish you the best with your girls. They look great. I will try to get some pics of my three without the brooder pen in the way so that you can see them good. I think they are good looking little crow imitations! 😊
My tunnels lead to an area under the trampoline for grass maintenance... we just dont want to move it... and another to a small pen. It just gives them somewhere else to go. They LOVE them! They can go anywhere I want them to! They are GREAT if you cant free range!. They are not left up all the time and are only used when we are home. They are not predator proof, but they do deter attack :) They do tend to run to the covered areas because the tunnel is has such an open feel, but I have been known to take an old sheet, tear it down to 12 or 18 inch strips and attach it to the top of the tunnels for shade. They are a HOOT to watch them run through!

Back
Top Bottom