Lavender orpington genetics help..

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PippyChicken, Dec 25, 2010.

1. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    So this is kinda sorta not gonna make alot of sense but I use to have a lavender orpington and it was my only one but it died and now I have a Black/Split Orpington. Is it possible to produce lavender orpingtons like this?

Blck w/lav gene X black w/out gene= 50% black / 50% Black w/lav. gene?

If I breed the

Blck/split X its baby w/lav gene= Lavender orpington or.. Black w/lav. gene?

Sorry if this doesnt make any sense..

[​IMG]

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yes Breeding a Split to a black that isnt carrying the gene with give half splits and half pure blacks but you want really be able to tell them apart.

So if you bred the split ( hopefully it is a roo) that you already back to those offspring ( both Spits and Pure blacks since you can tell them apart) ..........edit to correct, there would only be about a 1 in 8 chance of lavender.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  3. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    Thanks!! I'm pretty sure it's a male and I have some black hens. So how will I know which ones carry the lavender gene??

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I edited my above post, there would only be about an eighth chance of a lavender instead of a forth.

And you wont be able to tell the blacks from the splits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by