Lavender orpington genetics question?

Not totally positive about this, but here's my input. Anybody free to correct me.

1) White Orpington offspring, split to Lavender. So they will look like Whites, but carry the Lavender gene.
2)Patridge Orpington offspring, split to Lavender. They will look like Patridge, but carry the Lavender gene.
3) Black Orpington offspring, split to Lavender. They will be Black, but carry the Lavender gene.

However, if you breed the chicks of any of these crosses back to Lavender, you will have a percentage of Lavender Orpington offspring. I think 50%.
Would this be the case with other breeds that were being bred to the Lav.?

I'm not clear on your question. Are you talking about breeding other breeds to the Lavender Orpington or are you talking about trying to develop Lavender color in another breed?

I think the answer you are seeking is yes, but not sure.

Hi, I don't know if you ever got a response to your question. I have a similar situation. I had a black orpington rooster with black hens and lavender hens and out of the resulting chicks I have 2 that look like the photo you posted. What did your chick look like as an adult. Have you bred it?

So...I bought a chick I ordered through a feed store. Supposed to be lavender. The older she gets the more I suspect she is splash?! Is there an out-cross that gives the splash orp? This is my first experience with them. Thanks!!

I have the following hens: Easter Eggers, golden laced Wyandottes, white rocks, barred rocks, Dominques, Australorps, buff Orpington, and Jersey Giants. I only have Lavendar Orpington roosters. So I have all eggs mixed up from various hens (all I can differentiate between are the green eggs from the Easter Eggers). One green egg has hatched and three brown eggs have hatched. All chicks are black, two have yellow splashes on the backs of their heads. Will the chicks from the different hens look different or will they all look the same regardless of the hen breed? What color will white rock hens mixed with Lavendar Orpington roosters be or is there any way to tell? Sorry to be so dumb..I've had chickens for a couple of years but this is the first time I've let the hens hatch some eggs.

I am ordering Lavender Orphington chicks from Meyer Hatchery - now if I keep pullets from the cross of these birds, how will I be able to get an unrelated rooster still a Lavender?

Also, since they are not yet recognized, can mine be recognized by the APA when they are finally accepted?

I am ordering Lavender Orphington chicks from Meyer Hatchery - now if I keep pullets from the cross of these birds, how will I be able to get an unrelated rooster still a Lavender?

Also, since they are not yet recognized, can mine be recognized by the APA when they are finally accepted?
Lav is not a recognized color but very popular. Picking up a lav roo is easiest in the summer - when people find out that their chick is a male, or in the fall when everyone's trying to get the numbers down before winter.

If this is case how did I end up with a mostly white chick? Almost all of my hens are black except 1 buff my roo is a lavender but I got this unexpected surprise
59DF1037-B384-4657-A4FE-9F3C2D53DF57.jpeg

Attachments

• AD960CCC-D9C5-4AFB-93E7-CCBD7B7E9317.jpeg
    AD960CCC-D9C5-4AFB-93E7-CCBD7B7E9317.jpeg
    709.2 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom