Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
Thanks Jody, I am not use to the Blues yet. This is my first year with them. I maybe back and asking more dumb questions down the road. I appreciate your wisdom.

I just stumbled upon this Lavender Orpington thread. These are some beautiful birds! hinkjc, I visited your website. How big was Lester? I bought my first chicks in May at a feedstore. I bought two Buff Orpingtons and really love their disposition. They are very friendly and curious. I would love to have a few lavenders in the bunch. Soooooo pretty! Thanks for posting so many photos.

Last edited:
Quote:
If you hear somethin in your hen house, it's not a coon...
frow.gif

Those are soooooo durn pretty!! I can't wait to get some Lav's all these here on this site are just so helpful with making me want them even worse lol

jumpy.gif
I think the hatch is finished, but I'll leave the last 5 eggs in until tomorrow to be sure. 70 out of 75 of my split lav eggs hatched and 17 out of 17 of my project jubilees. I already rehomed 10 of the black chicks, so have 77 babies in the brooder. 19 lav chicks and 41 black, along with the jubilee babies. They definitely won't be in this brooder very long. lol

Pic of lavs while they were still hatching this morning.

lavblackorpchicks010.jpg

Pic this morning before all the chicks were moved to the brooder.

lavblackorpchicks002.jpg

Pics this evening of the babies!

001-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

003-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

And a closer pic of the jubilee fuzzies.

004-2.jpg

Jody,
I think that is too many babies in that brooder ..... Let me help you out here. I will take half of them. That will give you more space. OK? Just being helpful ya know. Now, to make arrangements ....

clap.gif
LOVE them!!!
love.gif
That is an excellent hatch rate you have, for sure!

Last edited:
I need help alright. lol I've got another brooder of about 50 left too, if you have extra room.
big_smile.png

Jody, & Charlie,
Your babies settled right into our brooder and Cleo is thrilled to have a new batch to watch. She can see into two sides. I used a 100 watt bulb on the babies last night but turned it off this morning and tonight the little ones are just fine without it. The enclosed deck is running a steady 85 degrees : sauna!
I set the eggs this afternoon: 4 whites, 4 blacks and 8 of my blue Barney EE eggs. My blue eggs are over a week old so I am just hoping something develops.
This time I put our LG bator on deck too. We may as well save electricity on the bator since the air conditioners are making the wheels spin for the rest of the house!!
We came home Saturday to the kids and grandkids using the pool... and looking at us like we are crazy for getting MORE chicks. Of course, they know John is crazy but they thought I had more sense. But as the 2 year old Granddaughter says " But they are soo cuuuute!!"
yeah.

I need to show John your brooder pics. He doesn't believe me.
Or maybe I'd better not. He may want more.
Thanks again and extra thanks to Charlie for those hinges: We owe you a cheesecake!

Quote:
droolin.gif
:drool I just well....... they are just beautiful!!
I've got to get some of the Lav' Orph's ..... I'm hooked and never even seen one in real life!! lol
Now, question for ya ...... I do have one single Orph hen but she's buff, if I got a Lav' trio and the roo bred my buff hen .. what color would that make the chicks?? Would it ruin the Lav' or just fade it? For lack of better terms..

Back
Top Bottom