Lavender Orpington project ....

Does anybody have any clue as why there is darker color on my Lavender pullet in that last pic? She does have a few light colored feathers on her wings, but she is definitely a darker shade than the rest of them.

Tomhusker,
After breeding Lavenders for several years at least 5 years I have seen several different shades of Lavenders due to the different genes which influences the color.

wilds of pa that is cool...they are big girls and boys now huh? I wish all lavender orps were chunky monkeys but I have seen some scrawny ones hatch lately. I will stick with my Blue Orps I think, I like that guarantee of fat butterball chicklets.
lol.png

Tomhusker she is beautiful....a real cutie. Is she a sweet girl too?

Sarah those babies are growing like ragweed. Well you see how the two here are doing....fat little black things. hahahaha Those polish/orp babies are just the cutest things ever. I love their little poufs. Too cute.

edited due to my fingers hitting multiple keys and causing me to type in a new language

Last edited:
Cetawin - Yes she is a very sweet girl. As a matter of fact, 3 of the 4 are very touchy/feely. The big girl has never taken to being held or petted, but the other 3 come a runnin' when momma calls.... or when they see that I have treats. Also, they are all really turning into some round little balls of feathers lately, taking on a nice plump shape.

yes as the developers of the project ~USA~lav orps we have seen many variables within our project birds in the beginning a few years ago, we have kept only the best of the best we've had as breeders, and have worked them further along, and now with new exhibition and English type orp blood they will be awesome this round.

we seen of course lav, lav mottled, darker shading of lav(possible dun gene?), birchen lavender. Now With the new crossing of the exhibition orps and English types we see already that the lavender plumage is a very refined=Lite soft shade of lavender and very sweet looking, but still Much more growing time on this new generation needed.
jumpy.gif

as the developers of the ~USA~ lavender araucana project, so far..lav, lavender/silver, lavender/gold, no more lavender duckwing types from any new hatches, I believe we have weeded them out, will know more next breeding season of this NEW offspring...
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
The lavender color(s) are beautiful...being a lover of blues, it is almost impossible not to like the lavender too. I understand they are still are a work in progress to obtain a perfection standard. However there are so many that just do not have the orp body style yet and some are that are so tiny at hatch that they could be considered bantam sized and these coming from standard parents...

I guess I am not the adventurous type because the price that breeders place on hatching eggs for a project with no reasonable expectation of what will hatch, is just a bit much IMHO. You can hope for the best based on the parents but in some cases it is a lot of money blown when sub-standard chicks hatch.

I am learning for sure and new to actually breeding, but am a quick study. It would seem to me that if breeders want to perfect a line, then they should select the best quality and size eggs they have to sell and incubate, to better the birds as a result. Case in point....a friend of mine recently purchased 2 dozen eggs for $10 an egg. They arrived, were small pullet sized eggs, hatch rate was 50%, 2 failed to thrive and the remaining were tiny fragile things. Nearly a month later, my 3 week old orps (from another line) are twice the size of them. I also have some 2 week old orps (also another line) that are the same size as those month old lavenders.

Now, had that been my $200 +/- spent, I would be very upset and wanting some of my money back or the eggs replaced for a new hatch. But it is still a sad state of affairs when the project is trying to strengthen to bring in weak examples; while charging such a price for the eggs, don't you agree? Guess that is why I stick with my BBS orps...they have been around long enough to have the bugs worked out, so to speak.

Good luck with those cute chunky monkeys of yours. I look forward to seeing growing pics of them.

Tomhusker, that is awesome that she is beautiful and sweet too...what a great combination. She sure is a pretty thing.
love.gif

Ok, need advice, please, from the experts.
bow.gif

I have crossed a Lav Orp roo with some nice quality (some BQ, some SQ) black cochin hens and now have a few of these I have retained. How many generations would it take to get rid of the remaining foot feathering? I took a picture today of the oldest 2 of these just for ya'll to see. I know the foot picture is blurry, but she wouldn't stop moving. Sorry about that.

6809_split_lav_cochins_2.jpg

6809_split_feet.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
The lavender color(s) are beautiful...being a lover of blues, it is almost impossible not to like the lavender too. I understand they are still are a work in progress to obtain a perfection standard. However there are so many that just do not have the orp body style yet and some are that are so tiny at hatch that they could be considered bantam sized and these coming from standard parents...

I guess I am not the adventurous type because the price that breeders place on hatching eggs for a project with no reasonable expectation of what will hatch, is just a bit much IMHO. You can hope for the best based on the parents but in some cases it is a lot of money blown when sub-standard chicks hatch.

I am learning for sure and new to actually breeding, but am a quick study. It would seem to me that if breeders want to perfect a line, then they should select the best quality and size eggs they have to sell and incubate, to better the birds as a result. Case in point....a friend of mine recently purchased 2 dozen eggs for $10 an egg. They arrived, were small pullet sized eggs, hatch rate was 50%, 2 failed to thrive and the remaining were tiny fragile things. Nearly a month later, my 3 week old orps (from another line) are twice the size of them. I also have some 2 week old orps (also another line) that are the same size as those month old lavenders.

Now, had that been my $200 +/- spent, I would be very upset and wanting some of my money back or the eggs replaced for a new hatch. But it is still a sad state of affairs when the project is trying to strengthen to bring in weak examples; while charging such a price for the eggs, don't you agree? Guess that is why I stick with my BBS orps...they have been around long enough to have the bugs worked out, so to speak.

Good luck with those cute chunky monkeys of yours. I look forward to seeing growing pics of them.

Tomhusker, that is awesome that she is beautiful and sweet too...what a great combination. She sure is a pretty thing.
love.gif

People who are determined to see this project through to the final result are selecting only the best of the Lavender Orp project birds and moving forward with those. Those that see this as a money making project are not in it for the long haul. Yes there are birds that need culled out to move forward. Some are not doing that and some don't know what the word cull is about. That's what you do in any breed you are trying to perfect not just a lavender color. Only thing they are getting at a F1 or F2 state are just the color to work with.

Back
Top Bottom