Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
I've have one that did this, he is my old guy. I did feed scratch in cold weather to him too. When I took him out of the pen and put him alone in an A--frame that had a covered run it cleared up. I'm thinking sun damage.

He looks brassy to me. My first lav roo would do that when out int he sun all the time. When he molted, the feathers would come back in lav. Although, it was never to that extent.

Yes, he has had corn, and yes, he's seems to always be out in the sun in the run. So it's sounding like it's not genetic then. Guess I never realized sun and/or corn could do that.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Milo (maize) will cause purple barring in black variety chickens. Most scratch grain mixes contain a majority of milo. Not sure what it will cause in the lavender gene.

Too much yellow corn will also add a yellow pigment to white shanked breeds.

Quote:
I was so happy to find this link! I am still learning about chicken genetics...I raise TN Walking Horses and it seems their genetics are so simple compared to fowl. I will have Lav. Orp eggs hatching Tuesday. Hinkjc... I have been reading about breeding back to black to make the lavender color more uniform. Would this be done in each generation? I know Mr. Shaffer said that I would probably have splits in this group. I have a black orp hen and want to make sure I have my head wrapped around this correctly before I start the process. I am afraid I have read so much about breeding these that I am confusing myself. Thanks so much for any help!!
Terry

I've noticed that alot of lavender orps have aweful feathers, at first i thought i was sing pics of birds in molt or something but i see its the seam traits, ropey feathers particularly on the back, saddle and tail. I also know people have been crossing with black orps to get better type, and i'm assuming to work on feathering type. I also read in genetics that the lavender color is linked to poor feather quality... Any thoughts on that?
Thanks
Sib

Back
Top Bottom