Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
To expound on this....blue is a combination of the splash and black genes. So if you breed a blue to a blue, you will get blue but you will also get splash and black chicks. Where as lavender is a gene that "cover" the black gene so when you have lavender showing, and you breed two lavenders together, you will always get lavender.

Ok, I don't know if this is what the OP was getting at with the blue, but it is something I've been wondering about so....

Let's say you have a really typey Blue Orpington , could you not then breed the blue orpington to a black split to lav orp? The results would be 50% Black (not-split). Would using one off those typey black orpingtons F1's (from a blue line) hurt anything to breed to a lavender orp in an attempt to improve type?

You can use blue and the offsprings are easy to distinquish if you have had some experience in breeding, the problem is that all the new breeders will be lost and not know exactly what they have genetically and if you look at what Tadkinson posted the splash look more like whites.

Last edited:
I just threw the blue AL to the Blk PA cuz hinkjc was on and thought perhaps the blacks would be affected as I have Lavs from her too.

Now the new issue of Backyard Poultry has an article on breeding. This is one of things it says. "The old adage, which is generally true, the hen sets the type and the cock the color." "We know a lot more about genetics nowadays than when that phrase was in vogue, but it is still good basic advice especially as it has to do with type."

So I intend to keep this in mind when choosing who to breed to what.

Blue to Black is fine and will produce about 50/50 blue and black offspring. I do not recommend using blue to lavender.

I am sorry I should have been clearer. The blacks that I have from you are all black and would be fine to cross with the one blue I have from Claudia ? Again provided they are not all the same sex of course.
big_smile.png

OK everyone! Time for me to exercise my bragging rights. I love these babies..
love.gif

Do excuse my picture taking skills...I am at home with my manual Pentax but when it comes to digital...I suck!

Here we go! I ended up with 5 Black splits and 5 Lavenders. Still have 3 that are in the bator but really do not think they are going to hatch. But I am happy with the results!

70714_s5031590.jpg

70714_s5031597.jpg

70714_s5031593.jpg

70714_s5031594.jpg

70714_s5031595.jpg

70714_s5031587.jpg

70714_s5031596.jpg

They where very patient with my taking pics....only thing is when the flash would go off...they would jump and poop!!!
lau.gif

Now I am anxious for them to age so I can start on breeding.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom