Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
I don't think they are too light either, that's why they are self blue/ lavender. Your rooster does not look a 100% lavender line in my opinion. I think he looks more splash color or light blue for an orpington. My 2 cents.

I was gonna say the same thing. That does not look like a Lavender.

Quote:
I know this is an ongoing project, but I believe they are too light, at one point it needs to out breed to blacks to regain melanizers to make it one shade darker..

Actually, in my experience, each generation gets lighter, not darker.
Here is a picture of early generation birds. Small and dark.
http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab31/kathyinmo/Lav Orps/LavOrps4-13-10022.jpg

Interesting... do you mind if I use your pics for educational purposes?

The lavender project girls in my avatar are an earlier generation of lavender. You can see a big difference in my 3 or 4th generation from Kathy's 5ths. Big color change.

Quote:
I don't think they are too light either, that's why they are self blue/ lavender. Your rooster does not look a 100% lavender line in my opinion. I think he looks more splash color or light blue for an orpington. My 2 cents.

I was gonna say the same thing. That does not look like a Lavender.

true.. infact it looks like normal blue based on gold(recessive sex linked gold s+) not silver wich will leak some ground color.. we(at the coop) call them Rusty blues

below roo is an example of Rusty blue
estudio_clip_image002_0000.jpg

Yeah ... I'm wondering if a black orpington from a blue black splash pen may have been used at some point in his lineage. I'm using the smaller one. He definitely looks pure orp ... thanks for the help everyone!

Back
Top Bottom