Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
There is a listing on BYC for a Chocolate Orpington Bantam male. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=602381

This guy is about 4-5 months old and is huge. He was the youngest of the cockerels I received. I wouldn't really categorized him as a bantam, but that is what he was sold to me as. He now weighs 5 lbs 9 oz and should top out at around 7 lbs or more according to my orpington sources.

This is suppose to be a bantam, yet may reach 7#. This would be great in a Chocolate large fowl project in any breed. But is not a bantam. We are now using a digital scale in all of our Orpington and Wyandotte Bantam programs. We must keep good type, but get the size down. We are now only keeping males with smaller weight, but good type. So many of the Orpington Bantams at Crossroads were extremely large. Yet the judges tend to pick the larger ones. I am hearing this about other breeds as well: Cochin, Wyandottes etc. Once judges start picking a trait that is not to Standard, breeders start breeding for that trait. as Orpington bantam breeders we need to be responsible and breed to the SOP.​

She said she wouldnt call it a bantam because its so large.

For those wanting to develope a large fowl Chocoalte Orpington, this bird is well worth the $300 price. Half the work is done on getting them to our SOP size.

Meanwhile, we are hoping for some Lav/SB this year that look Orpington. We are close and will know when we start getting chicks how close we are.

Quote:
I do. You really need to take a road trip!

You don't count! LoL I would buy them and you know it too. Anyone near HappyMtn coming to FL, and wouldn't mind hauling just a few birds?
hide.gif
If we could arrange shipping ya know.

Look what fell out of my Lavender Orp pullet.
gig.gif
She must have sneezed a little too hard. At least she finally laid an egg. I know pullet eggs are small but this was just plain funny!
lau.gif

70714_s5031978.jpg

Back
Top Bottom