Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
In about 5 to 6 weeks you should be able to tell gender with some certainty.

Sometimes sooner. I have had a couple little roos that get huge red combs at 3 weeks or so. They're so flipping cute
tongue.png

41028_hpim1676.jpg
These are some of my lavenders from three different breeders. These are around six months old. I have six cockerals to choose for the breeding pen. My blacks came from hinkjc which, I will use to improve these.

Quote:
I like those 2 girls in the front.
big_smile.png

My girls should start laying any day. I am putting them under English black roos, and if I keep a lav boy he will go over an English black girl. I worry there may be fertility issues with all that fluff, but I have seen a few part-English Orps around so it can't be all that impossible.

Quote:
I like those 2 girls in the front.
big_smile.png

My girls should start laying any day. I am putting them under English black roos, and if I keep a lav boy he will go over an English black girl. I worry there may be fertility issues with all that fluff, but I have seen a few part-English Orps around so it can't be all that impossible.

Some people trim the feathers around the vent to help with this problem. If you are not going to show them I would try that.

I went out yesterday afternoon to collect eggs and noticed my Lav. pullet was breathing funny. I treated her with Oxine and she seemed better..was eating and drinking. She would do a little thing like she would gasp every couple minutes. This morning I went out and I had lost her. I have no idea what happened. She was in her nesting box when I first noticed this and I check my chickens 2 times a day. Could she have been egg bound and just not have shown any signs?? I did notice her vent was redder than I think it should have been when I looked her over. She has only been laying for about 2 weeks. I still have my Lav. roo who will be with my 2 blk Eng Orps and a nice blue pullet. I just hate it when this kind of thin happens!
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom