Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
From what I understand, the use of the blues gets the poor feathering out of the lavenders faster. I have not done this myself but have heard it from a few different breeders.

The majority of lavenders are where they are because people mass produced them to make money, and also made bad crosses to other breeds, such as Australorps, just so they could make money. There are a few breeders that have worked on them keeping most of them to themselves so that they could get them close to standard before they release them.

Oh don't I know that! Its starting in the lav ameraucanas soon too.
sad.png

Until I fell into some black English orps, I had planned on using one of my blues beauase she has such good type and size. If you are going to do that though, you have to keep very good track of the offspring so you know who is carrying the lav gene, so as not to mess up a BBS program.

Yea, of course with the majority of the Lavs I have seen, the blue offspring would be culls anyways.

Quote:
I have my point of lay pullets listed for $15, and splits for $10. But over the summer some people were asking $16-20 per straight run chick!
lau.gif
And they were all from lav x lav- not even slightly improved.

I wouldn't sell a good pure lavender pullet for less than 25.00, depending on her generation work. My hatchings eggs sell for 100.00 a doz. from my line.

Well, that's a great way to keep lavender from ever getting accepted- make the good birds unobtainable.

I'm going to make 50% English splits and eggs available to common folk. Maybe we'll get some birds out there that actually look like Orpingtons. I am not selling lavender anything anymore without including splits from good blacks. I think, ethically, its the least we can do for the breed.

Quote:
I don't see it that way. Every Tom, Dick and Harry are now able to say and sell what they claim to be pure lavender without working on towards the standard. Half can't even say what generation they have. If someone wants my dedicated work towards the standard and keep the work in progress they are will to pay for my hardwork.

No that's exactly what I am saying- I'm sick of the "rare, hinkjc, pure lavender!" label as well. It is meaningless.

But somebody needs to put some birds out there that will get the variety accepted, and pricing them out of range isn't going to be any help. I've bought eggs from plenty of show-winning breeders of accepted varieties, and they don't ask near $100 a dozen.

Last edited:
Quote:
At this point the generation number is less important than what the generation looks like. We are very happy with our 50% Cecil Moore line black and 50% hincjc lav. They have great type. They are almost to point of lay. Can not wait to start hatching their eggs and seeing what the Self Blue chicks look like. I agree that anyone selling these should at least make some SOP quality Black Orpingtons available. There are no "pure" Lavender Orpingtons until they can pass the SOP test. We are breeding the splits to splits so will have some lav, some splits and some blacks from this mating. We plan on showing some of the black splits to see what the judges think. We may also show the Self Blue, but with the Black splits their type can be determined without the judge knowing they are hatchmates with the Self Blue.

Back
Top Bottom