Lavender Orpington project ....

I would without hesitation use this hen in a Lav program, this is my Alice.
smile.png

IMG_5767.jpg

pips&peeps :

This is why some of the breed clubs want to label our birds as lavender instead of self blue as it is very confusing to new breeders. Lavender is not blue and the genes do not express the same way a blue does.

This is the reason that they use Lavender in other parts of the world, its possible to have a bird that has the self blue phenotype that is genetically Heterozygous blue, which can be seen in British Blue Leghorns, rather then lavender​

Quote:
This is the reason that they use Lavender in other parts of the world, its possible to have a bird that has the self blue phenotype that is genetically Heterozygous blue, which can be seen in British Blue Leghorns, rather then lavender

OSUman, care to explain "self blue phenotype" and "Heterozygous blue" for those that don't understand?

I believe this is what you're talking about, right...

LightBlue.jpg

This bird is Andalusian Blue, but lacks lacing.

Last edited:
Quote:
This is the reason that they use Lavender in other parts of the world, its possible to have a bird that has the self blue phenotype that is genetically Heterozygous blue, which can be seen in British Blue Leghorns, rather then lavender

OSUman, care to explain "self blue phenotype" and "Heterozygous blue" for those that don't understand?

I believe this is what you're talking about, right...

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j437/nicalandia/LightBlue.jpg

This bird is Andalusian Blue, but lacks lacing.

Yea, its easier to see in the females though. But the Self Blue Pheonotype means that the birds appearance is Self (Solid) blue and what I mean from Heterozygous Blue is that its the genetics is the same as the BBS blue. (Heterozygous means that it isnt pure for one gene)

You can see the leghorns here http://www.theleghornclub.com/PhotosBlue.asp

Last edited:
if i am reading what everyone wrote.

when i breed my black orp rooster over my lav orp project hens and have chicks..

i need to if i have a lavendar rooster out of the hatch breed it to the black hens out of the same hatch?

is this correct....

Quote:
no you wont have lavender offspring can either breed the black hens back to their father, or you can cross the black offspring together. Also if possible its better to use a lavender rooster over black hens because the offspring tend to get more of their type from their mothers then their fathers.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I know I posted this in 2 other places, but what is an appropriate price for 3-4 week old, sexed, lavenders? This one lady is selling hers for 100$ each! Then she cut it down to 50$ each since I am going to be doing 4H with a lavender. This still seems like alot to me. What do you think?

Thanks!

Quote:
Just say no, you cant go anywhere showing Lavender Orpingtons in 4-H since there are no accepted standard. Also the majority of them out there arent good

Back
Top Bottom