Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
I'd pair $100 for an English, but there are still very few in the US. She's probably somebody that got ripped off on eggs and is trying to make thier money back. For 4 week olds sexed Americans- I would ask $8-10. But then I wouldn't sell you a girl without a roo either.

Quote:
no you wont have lavender offspring can either breed the black hens back to their father, or you can cross the black offspring together. Also if possible its better to use a lavender rooster over black hens because the offspring tend to get more of their type from their mothers then their fathers.

OSU Man: I have 1 Lavender cockerel, 7 Lavender pullets and 1 Black cockerel. I'm planning to put the Black over the pullets. I know the F2's will be splits, black in color. Now whick cock should I use to produce the next generation (F3)? The original Black father, the Lavender sibling of the F1's or a cock from the F2 splits? My goal is to produce the best quality Lavenders possible rather than to produce a large quantity of them quickly.

Quote:
no you wont have lavender offspring can either breed the black hens back to their father, or you can cross the black offspring together. Also if possible its better to use a lavender rooster over black hens because the offspring tend to get more of their type from their mothers then their fathers.

OSU Man: I have 1 Lavender cockerel, 7 Lavender pullets and 1 Black cockerel. I'm planning to put the Black over the pullets. I know the F2's will be splits, black in color. Now whick cock should I use to produce the next generation (F3)? The original Black father, the Lavender sibling of the F1's or a cock from the F2 splits? My goal is to produce the best quality Lavenders possible rather than to produce a large quantity of them quickly.

Definitely dont cross the split birds to black birds, because all the offspring will be black and half of them will be split, but you wont know which. In my opinion your best bet would be to cross the black split offspring together, you wont get as many lavenders but you will most likely get more birds that have improved in type over the original lavenders.

Quote:
Quick stupid question. I feel sure the answer is Yes but I'm going to ask anyway. Does the same apply to blues?

No, the Blue gene expresses differently than Lavender.

Black X Blue = 50% Black, 50% Blue
Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash
Black X Splash = 100% Blue

Thank you for the quick answer
smile.png
Unfortunately I meant the part about crossing them back together for more improvement. Sorry, I should have highlighted that or something.

Quote:
No, the Blue gene expresses differently than Lavender.

Black X Blue = 50% Black, 50% Blue
Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash
Black X Splash = 100% Blue

Thank you for the quick answer
smile.png
Unfortunately I meant the part about crossing them back together for more improvement. Sorry, I should have highlighted that or something.

The Lavender would take the place of the black.

Back
Top Bottom