Lavender Orpington project ....

I haven't got any lavender orps at the moment for sale but I will have a selection of hens next summer and I will also have blue,black,buff and black cuckoo orpingtons if you want to contact me my email : [email protected] :D

Ok for fun:

What do you all think of these babies? They were born on or about March 8th 2012, that makes them about 8 weeks old.

While reading thought this thread I noticed that people are now trying to improve on the type. The breeder of these chickens says they are from Greenfire and Jc Hink lines

(While loading these pictures I realize I took some awful shots....but play along with me anyway...ok?
lau.gif
)

I am pretty darn sure this one is a Roo

yes, Improving the "orpington" type in the Lavender is good. I plan on getting some black English Orpingtons to try to get that Orpington body type back into the lavender. such a stunning color! I agree, I see two girls and one Roo in your pic. pretty!
Ok, lets try these...they were in a different folder on my camera.

Anyone heard of a funky feather gene in the lavender color? the gene is supposed to give the feathers a frayed, brittle look? anyone know anymore on this?

You need to go to the Ameraucana Club Forum and read about the "K" gene. The Ameraucanas are make some forward strides in this color and that thread on K gene should give you the information you are seeking. Good luck.

I would search for some nice SOP quality Black hens. First generation you would get all Splits (Black carrying the lav gene). Then in year two, breed the Splits to their sire. That should get you some nice Self Blue/Lavs to work with.

Note: The photo shows up in the quotes. He looks nice!

Um... isn't it bad form to breed a roo to his chicks?? I'm thinking English Monarchy here.
As for the roo... I think his tail is too high to meet standards, but, I'm still learning.
Why choose lav Orps?? As crosses? Or instead of??

Um... isn't it bad form to breed a roo to his chicks?? I'm thinking English Monarchy here.
As for the roo... I think his tail is too high to meet standards, but, I'm still learning.
Why choose lav Orps?? As crosses? Or instead of??

Quite typical in poultry, actually. It's only bad if it's perpetuating bad traits. It pretty much locks in all the good and all the bad. Linebreeding can be a useful tool or your worse nightmare, you just have to know what your goals are and whether or not your birds are moving you closer to those goals are farther away from them.

The sheekuns definitely aren't English Monarchy. ;)

Back
Top Bottom