Lavender Orpington Shredder Gene Help

FeatheredFriends&Horses2

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 18, 2018
Nebraska
I could use some advice from any lavender orpington enthusiasts! I know the so-called "shredder gene" is a recessive gene that is prevalent in birds with the lavender breed. I also know that the best way to get good show quality birds is to breed them so that the gene doesn't present itself in the birds' phenotypes. However, I have 3 lavender orpingtons, a rooster and two hens, that all are homozygous for the gene. I know ideally I would cross them with a black orpington and then breed back to a lavender to get chicks closer to show quality, but I'm a college student on a college budget getting ready to move to a different state, so that isn't exactly going to work for me. So I'm wondering, is there a way to reduce the appearance of the shredded feathers in these birds in order to give them the best chance at show this summer? Either by using certain conditioners or nutrition? Thanks for any advice!

The "Shredder" phenotype is either a closely linked gene to the lavender mutation or as I believe its an allelic mutation of the lavender allele, in any case breeding as many birds as possible to either break the linkage or to get the proper lavender allelic mutation will be required, its hard on your budget

Last edited:
@KingB that is something I wish I could do, and someday I probably will. Like I said though, I'm transferring colleges at the end of the summer, and have neither the time nor the money currently for such a project. I'm really just looking for any way to decrease the ratty appearance of my current birds' feathers for a county fair.

I'm thinking I could possibly increase their intake of vitamin A and protein. My thought process on this is that currently nobody knows exactly why lavenders tend to present this phenotype (at least as far as I could find). If it is due to a mutation in the shape of the feather itself, there isn't really much that can be done. However, if the ratty appearance is due to a metabolic issue linked to the lavender coloration, it can be managed. Anybody have any experience with this?

Back
Top Bottom