Lavender patterned Isabel duckwing barred - lavender brown cuckoo barred - project and genetic dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also Haiku -- you should get a big prize for reading 105 pages. whew! :bow

Haha, I have an obsessive personality. Better to be addicted to chickens (and chicken chat) than drugs or something, right? LOL

My group came from @Tbird84 . I was super excited to find some nice started birds of a breed/variety I was interested in within driving distance WHEN I was interested in them! It worked out great and it was wonderful to meet Tess. As I recall, she said she got her pair from someone up in Tennessee but you know... I really didn't dig any further than that! Maybe she can fill us in.

I originally was only going to get pullets, but then talked her into sending me home with their brother too as I hoped to get some browns and cross the two lines for splits. HOWEVER, I haven't been able to find any quality brown leghorns and figure at this point I'll have to start with hatching eggs or chicks in the spring, or wait again till later in the year for started birds so I am planning on breeding from this sibling group.

I figure it should definitely reveal any lurking issues, but I also surmise that the orpington outcross was still recent enough that things won't be too close.

Interestingly, I am currently trying to secure a small group of Silver Leghorns and, in that case, I will likely wind up doing the Lavender Silver-based Duckwings that were discussed here at some point. I rather fancy the look, as well. From what I can tell that cross could result in lavender duckwing, silver duckwing, the brown duckwing females, and a "golden" duckwing male.

Does that sound right?

Silver duckwing rooster over Isabella hens = SD split to lavender pullets and silver/gold duckwing split to lavender cockerels.
Isabella rooster over SD hens = GD split to lavender pullets and S/G duckwing split to lavender cockerels.
Then it depends which way you went and which way you want to go from there.
Crossing back to Isabella or crossing the chicks or ?
I mainly focus more on the boys then the girls since silver/gold is sex linked. The males are more work because they carry two genes and it usually takes an extra generation to get both genes of what you want. The males also determine what the female offspring will be so it makes no difference if the hens are gold or silver if you have the rooster with the right genes.
Ask for more info if you need it. Ive done quite a bit with these types of crosses.

Haha, I have an obsessive personality. Better to be addicted to chickens (and chicken chat) than drugs or something, right? LOL

My group came from @Tbird84 . I was super excited to find some nice started birds of a breed/variety I was interested in within driving distance WHEN I was interested in them! It worked out great and it was wonderful to meet Tess. As I recall, she said she got her pair from someone up in Tennessee but you know... I really didn't dig any further than that! Maybe she can fill us in.

I originally was only going to get pullets, but then talked her into sending me home with their brother too as I hoped to get some browns and cross the two lines for splits. HOWEVER, I haven't been able to find any quality brown leghorns and figure at this point I'll have to start with hatching eggs or chicks in the spring, or wait again till later in the year for started birds so I am planning on breeding from this sibling group.

I figure it should definitely reveal any lurking issues, but I also surmise that the orpington outcross was still recent enough that things won't be too close.

Interestingly, I am currently trying to secure a small group of Silver Leghorns and, in that case, I will likely wind up doing the Lavender Silver-based Duckwings that were discussed here at some point. I rather fancy the look, as well. From what I can tell that cross could result in lavender duckwing, silver duckwing, the brown duckwing females, and a "golden" duckwing male.

Does that sound right?
I got my pair from rjohns39 in Tennessee. Last ones he had and he was moving onto barred Hollands I think. His birds came from cree57i. I've no idea beyond that.

Definitely -- I got some Isabellas from Cree57i and also some from CJWaldon and as The Moonshiner says -- Cree57i got hers directly from Buddy Henry. .

Both sets were superb chicks.

Neither of them has Isabellas any longer as I understand,
But -- then when you think about it -- everyone with Isabellas got them from Buddy Henry, because he is the one who bred them in the USA for the first time in the Leghorn breed.

Perhaps there were Orpingtons floating around that had the plumage pattern---- but all the ones we are talking about here came from Buddy Henry originally I think.
:O)

Silver duckwing rooster over Isabella hens = SD split to lavender pullets and silver/gold duckwing split to lavender cockerels.
Isabella rooster over SD hens = GD split to lavender pullets and S/G duckwing split to lavender cockerels.

You know i never thought about the fact that gold factored lavender could be used in sex links with silvers. That's kind of nifty.

I did find a pair of rose comb dark browns last night. Guess they're from MM, but i might check them out anyway to see if they are ok type wise, they look nice and wide from the photos and tail sets are not bad at all, proper leg and ear lobe color. My Alaska friends want RC Isabellas anyway. :D

Geez, two months into having birds again and I'm talking about three varieties of leghorn. Who'd a thunk.

Yes they have both moved away from the Isabella leghorns as most others have also.
Back then everyone's came from buddy and although many different browns (both lights and darks) have been brought in over the years as far as I know every Isabella decends back to buddy.
I haven't heard of anyone bringing the lavender gene into leghorns from a different breed since buddy did it.
There are and have been isabellas oversees for many many years pre buddy but I'm unaware of anyone that imported any over here.

You know i never thought about the fact that gold factored lavender could be used in sex links with silvers. That's kind of nifty.

I did find a pair of rose comb dark browns last night. Guess they're from MM, but i might check them out anyway to see if they are ok type wise, they look nice and wide from the photos and tail sets are not bad at all, proper leg and ear lobe color. My Alaska friends want RC Isabellas anyway. :D

Geez, two months into having birds again and I'm talking about three varieties of leghorn. Who'd a thunk.
RC Isabella huh?
Been there done that....
700 (2).jpeg
700 (3).jpeg
700 (1).jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom