Lavender shredding gene

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
How soon can you tell if a lavender (self blue) has a shredder gene? I'm assuming mine all do, but I want to make surebefore I move extras along that I'm not getting rid of possible nonshredded.

What color would be best to use to make splits? I'm assuming black? These are bantam Cochins

Me and Moony just discussed this last night. I personally hate lavs just because of the shredding. Wait for Moony to answer your questions though.
Okay. I have a few weeks anyways before the sale date anyways is close, figured this just would not be a good last minute question.

Never woulda thought you hated that color though

I have 3 week old lavender orps. I dunno anything about the gene stuff but I have noticed some of them have some really tore up looking wing feathers and some look totally normal. Is that the shred gene?

I have 3 week old lavender orps. I dunno anything about the gene stuff but I have noticed some of them have some really tore up looking wing feathers and some look totally normal. Is that the shred gene?
Yeah. Lavender and Isabella are really notorious for it. Apparently I won't get my Isabellas in time for the sale 😑 bit I have my Cochins and apparently 4 out of the 6 decided they wanted to be boys

Yes they do. They don't show the wing patch like the males.
That's one thing that people don't understand and if they do they get really frustrated about.
It's like girls can be carriers and pass it to males later.

Back
Top Bottom